Match Report


Sat 26 Mar 11


Morecambe suffered another defeat at home as they failed to find the win that would all but confirm their Football League status for another season.

After the disappointing result at home to Macclesfield on Tuesday night, Morecambe were looking to bounce back and Sammy McIlroy made five changes to his staring line-up in a bid to shake things up.

Barry Roche returned in goal and after an impressive run out for the reserves Phil Jevons was given a start.Andy Holdsworth came in for Kieran Charnock, Gary Hunter came in for the suspended Stewart Drummond and there was a first start for on-loan Blackburn winger Zak Aley who replaced Tony Capaldi.

Morecambe started brightly and had the best of the opening exchanges.The first chance came in the first minute when the recalled Jevons had a header from inside the area, but could only direct it at Nikki Bull in the Wycombe goal.

Debutant Aley was heavily involved in the early stages and could have marked his first Shrimps start with a goal.Jevons cut the ball back for the youngster but he fluffed his lines and Wycombe were able to clear.

Sammy McIlroy was dealt a blow when Lawrence Wilson was forced to limp off after 28 minutes.Kieran Charnock came in to the centre of defence with Andy Parrish moving over to left back.

On 34 minutes Wycombe took the lead against the run of play after being awarded a penalty for a foul on captain Gareth Ainsworth.The veteran picked the ball up by the corner flag worked his way into the Morecambe penalty area before being tripped by Gary Hunter.Scott Rendell stepped up to convert from 12 yards, sending Barry Roche the wrong way.

And two minutes later Ainsworth doubled the visitors lead after a mix up between Hunter and Kieran Charnock.The midfielder was allowed to burst through the centre of the pitch and finished coolly past Barry Roche to make it 2-0.

Danny Carlton almost halved the deficit but saw another effort deflected past the post. Phil Jevons put a cross to the back post where Hunter nodded the ball back for Carlton but he could not turn the ball goalwards.

In first half injury time Scott Rendell looked to have put the game beyond Morecambe when he made it 3-0.Scott Donnelly worked some space for himself before pulling the ball back for Rendell who made no mistake in finishing off the move for his second of the afternoon.


Ten minutes after half time McIlroy made changes with a like-for-like switch in midfield, Scot Brown coming on for Andy Fleming.

Chris Shuker then replaced Aley. And the newcomer wasted little time in firing a shot goalwards, flashing it just wide.

Kevin Betsy then had a go for Wycombe but Andy Parrish was able to head off the line and away for a corner.

Roche was called into action again on 67 minutes when the lively Ainsworth got a flick on a cross but the keeper was quick to react and saved well with his feet.

Parrish had a chance on 70 minutes but saw his shot saved and from the ensuing corner the ball broke to Scott Brown on the edge of the box and Bull had to move smartly to tip the looping shot over the bar.

Rendell then wasted a chance to complete is hattrick 4 minutes later when he dragged his shot wide of Roche's far post.

Chris Shuker went closest for Morecambe on 79 minutes when he rattled the crossbar with a shot from the edge of the box. The ball bounced up in the air but Danny Carlton was unable to nod the rebound home.

Two minutes later Parrish again came close to getting on the scoresheet when his bullet header from a Kevan Hurst corner was again header off the line, this time by Marvin McCoy.

As the home side looked to add the consolation they deserved, Wycombe hit them on the break and could have added a fourth goal but substitute Kieran Murtagh scewed his shot wide.

A final score of 3-0 may have flattered Wycombe, but it was a familiar story for Morecambe as their failure to convert the chances they created cost them again.

Morecambe: Roche; Holdsworth, Parrish, McCready, Wilson; Hunter, Fleming, Aley, Hurst; Carlton, Jevons. Subs: Anyon, Bentley, Shuker, Wainwright, Spencer, Brown.

Wycombe: Bull; McCoy, Winfield, Johnson, Foster; Ainsworth, Montrose, Donnelly, Betsy; Rendell, Bevon. Subs: Bennett, Murtagh, Pittman, Scowen, McClure, Harris, Arnold.

Ref: T Kettle.

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports