Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

16 December 2017 Venue The Hive Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


16 December 2017

THE Shrimps suffered a disappointing defeat when they went down 2-1 to bottom club Barnet at the Hive.

Jim Bentley’s side were hit but a stunner from Jamal Campbell-Ryce and acool finish from Jack Taylor in three first half minutes before an Adam Campbell goal 19 minutes from time gave them a glimmer of hope.

Bentley went with the same side that performed so well against Coventry last week but from the start they failed to reach the heights of seven days ago.

Barnet had the opportunity to make the first real chance from a free-kick, but Ryan Watson’s effort hit the wall and went out for a corner. Watson’s ball fell to the feet of Michael Nelson, but he wasn’t expecting it and Shrimps keeper Barry Roach could easily collect.

Elliot Osborne had an effort soon after, but his strike was parried by Jamie Stephens, with the danger eventually being cleared.

Barnet looked the brighter with Shaquile Coulthirst firing an effort just wide of the right-hand post before Taylor saw a long-range effort well saved by Roach.

A game of low quality was brought to life when Campbell-Ryce opened the scoring with a stunning goal when he curled an effort over Roach from 30 yards out.

Soon after the Bees managed to double their lead, Akinde held the ball up and played through Taylor, slipping the ball past Roach comfortably. 

Morecambe’s best chance of the first half came on the stroke of half time when Michael Rose sent a curling effort but just over the bar.

Morecambe made two changes for the second half, Osbourne being replaced by Kevin Ellison and Adam McGurk off for Callum Lang as they tried to push on and find a way back into the game.

The Shrimps nearly got one back soon after, confusion between the Barnet backline allowed Andy Fleming make a block from an attempted clearance, which looped over Stephens and just clipped the crossbar.

Morecambe continued to push the Bees and Lang had a half chance to bring the ball down in the box but his effort rolled into the grateful arms of Stephens.

As the Shrimps pushed bodies forward they left gaps at the backend won a penalty when Roach brought Akinde down in the area. Akinde stepped up to take it and put it well over the bar.

Morecambe pulled one back with 20 minutes to go with substitute Adam Campbell scoring his first goal for the Shrimps with a lovely curling effort beating Stephens, despite him getting a hand on it.

Akinde had an opportunity to make up for his earlier penalty miss, driving down the left-hand side but his effort was well saved low by Roach.

Taylor nearly added to his tally, cutting inside and curling an effort that looked destined for the far corner, but Roach made a good save. Dan Sweeney followed up, but his effort went across the face of goal.

Campbell was the most influential player for Morecambe after his introduction and he almost scored a superb leveller with a long-range effort, similar to Campbell-Ryce’s in the first half, that nearly found the top corner.

BARNET: Stephens, Clough, Santos, Nelson, Watson, Akinde (rep Akinola 86), Campbell-Ryce, Coulthirst, J. Taylor Vilhete (rep Sweeney 53), Blackman.

Subs not used: Ross, Brindley, Tutonda, Fonguck, Nicholls.

MORECAMBE: Roach, McGowan, Old, Muller, Brough, Rose, Fleming, Osborne (rep Ellison 46), Thompson (rep Campbell 68), McGurk (rep Lang 46), Oliver.

Subs not used: NIzic, Kenyon, Lavelle, Lund.

Ref: D Whitestone.
Attendance: 1123 (74 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account