Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

29 December 2018 Venue JobServe Community Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews


29 December 2018

JIM Bentley has named 5 changes to the side that lost to Tranmere on Boxing day to face Colchester United this afternoon.

Mark Halstead remains in goal behind a back four, which sees changes at full back either side.

Josef Yarney replaces Zak Mills and Luke Conlan returns from injury to occupy the left side of the Shrimps defence. Steven Old and Sam Lavelle remain at centre half.

Alex Kenyon returns to central midfield, this time in a 433 system with todays skipper in the holding role. Liam Mandeville and Jordan Cranston completing the midfield three.

Rhys Oates comes in for Vadaine Oliver and Carlos Mendes Gomes replaces Kevin Ellison in the front three with A-Jay Leitch-Smith down the middle.

Dawid Szczepaniak, Tyler Brownsword, Zak Mills, Ben Hedley, Garry Thompson, Kevin Ellison and Jason Oswell make up today’s substitutes’ bench.

Advertisement block

Match Reports


29 December 2018

MORECAMBE picked up an excellent point at high flying Colchester.

The Shrimps produced a fine defensive display to keep Colchester at bay as they kept their second clean sheet in three games.

Boss Jim Bentley made five changes from the side that lost at Tranmere with Aaron Wildig, Andrew Tutte and Vadaine Oliver all ruled out through injuries.

The hosts searched for an early goal, but Luke Norris could not get enough power behind his low drive on two minutes.

Morecambe had a sight of goal on 10 minutes, although lone strike A-Jay Leitch-Smith’s shot was charged down by left-back Vincent-Young.

At the other end Sammie Szmodics scooped a 20-yarder over the top for the U’s.

The Shrimps had a half-chance when Frank Nouble felled Jordan Cranston with a strong challenge. The advantage was played, because the ball broke for Leitch-Smith, but his shot trickled wide of the far post.

There was a better chance for the visitors, on the half-hour mark. Rene Gilmartin did well to parry a long-range bullet from Jordan Cranston, only for the onrushing Rhys Oates to blaze the rebound high and wide from a promising position.

Morecambe defended very well in the first half, and even when Szmodics had an opportunity to shoot goalwards from Nouble’s cross, he was block-tackled by left-back Luke Conlan when about to pull the trigger.

A frustrated Norris cracked a shot over the top, on 41 minutes, but otherwise the Shrimps looked fairly comfortable, often with 10 men behind the ball with a solid shape.

The second half saw the home side up the tempo.

But it was Morecambe who had a chance to break the deadlock, early in the second half. The U’s failed to clear a corner delivered by former U’s loanee Liam Mandeville, only for Rhys Oates to see his free header fly wide of the far upright although he looked to have been nudged in the back.

As the game came to a close Kane Vincent-Young brought the crowd to life with a wonderful run. He did well to keep the ball in play, before getting to his feet to beat three defenders and crack in an angled drive which was clawed away for a corner by keeper Halstead.

Still the U’s could not really get out of first fear, Norris pulling a shot wide of the near post in the 70th minute, while at the other end substitute Kevin Ellison tested Gilmartin with a well-struck 25-yarder, although it was aimed straight at the U’s keeper.

COLCHESTER: Gilmartin, Jackson, Prosser, Kent, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, Comley (sub Pell, 73), Nouble, Szmodics, Dickenson (sub Senior, 63), Norris (sub Mandron, 73). Unused subs: Barnes, Wright, Eastman, Gondoh.

MORECAMBE: Halstead, Yarney, Old, Lavelle, Conlan, Kenyon, Mendes-Gomes, Cranston, Oates (sub Ellison, 73), Mandeville (sub Oswell, 73), Leitch-Smith (sub Thompson, 89). Unused subs: Szcezpaniak, Mills, Brownsword, Hedley.

Referee: John Busby (Oxon)

Attendance: 3,653 (71 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account