Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

09 October 2018 Venue Globe Arena Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League Trophy

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


9 October 2018

MORECAMBE fall to their second successive Checkatrade Trophy defeat as Stoke City take three points at the Globe Arena.

The Shrimps came from behind to draw level but Tyrese Campbell jumped on a defensive mixup in the Shrimps’ back line in the 57th minute to bag the winner for the Championship side.

Jim Bentley made eight changes from the side that lost to Tranmere on Saturday afternoon.

Aaron Wildig, Vadaine Oliver and Zak Mills missed out through injuries and A-Jay Leitch-Smith, Andrew Tutte, Rhys Oates and Liam Mandeville were on the substitutes bench.

Ben Hedley came into the side for his first competitive Shrimps start alongside Lamin Jagne, Jordan Cranston, Jason Oswell, Joe Piggott, Carlos Mendes Gomes, Mark Halstead and Kevin Ellison.

Stoke started the game well enjoying large spells of possession with the Shrimps looking to move the ball quickly from back to front on any regains.

Morecambe worked the game’s first clear opening, with Kevin Ellison receiving the ball on the left flank after Joe Piggott’s switch. The veteran winger flashed the ball across goal with Jason Oswell poised to tuck the ball into the goal only for Semi Scott Wara to reach the ball at the near post at full stretch.

The next phase of play saw Stoke open the scoring, Moussa Niakate cut inside from the left playing the unmarked Oliver Shenton in behind the Shrimps’ back line, the 20 year old slotted the ball past Mark Halstead.

Lamin Jagne went close to levelling things up when he broke through from midfield driving at the Stoke City defence, but dragged his shot wide from 20 yards.

Stoke almost doubled their lead after some neat work down the right side from Oliver Shenton who then floated the ball back post for Mark Waddington to have his header well saved by Mark Halstead.

After Kevin Ellison was forced off through injury and replaced by Liam Mandeville the Shrimps drew level. Mandeville’s corner was met by Jason Oswell who headed home for his first Shrimps’ goal.

The second half had few incidents but saw Stoke get the winning goal. Sam Lavelle’s pass inside caught out Josef Yarney and Tyrese Campbell anticipated the error. The 18 year old slotted home from 20 yards and make it 2-1 to the visitors.

The Shrimps pushed for an equaliser and A-Jay Leitch-Smith and Rhys Oates were brought off the bench toward the end of the game, Ben Hedley threatened with powerful strikes from the edge of the box but Jakob Haugaard in the Stoke goal was equal to them.

The game finished 2-1 with the depleted Shrimps side still looking for their first victory in the competition.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account