Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe 0, Wycombe 1

1 April 2013

Shrimps lose shocker

Morecambe suffered just their second home defeat since September after Stuart Lewis’ second-half strike handed Wycombe all three points at the Globe Arena.

After an uneventful first-half, Lewis scored the only goal of the game ten minutes into the second-half, on what was a miserable afternoon for the Shrimps.

after the defeat, while the victory ended Wycombe’s run of four games without a win.thJim Bentley’s side drop one place into 14

Bentley made four changes to the side which drew 1-1 at Oxford on Friday, with Jack Redshaw and Ryan Williams returning to the starting line-up, while Andreas Arestidou and Jordan Burrow were handed rare starts as the Shrimps started in an unfamiliar 4-4-2 formation.

With the windy conditions at the Globe Arena making it hard for both sides to settle, goalmouth action was limited in the early stages.

The best the Shrimps could muster was a long range strike by Stewart Drummond, but his first time shot from Redshaw’s lay off went harmlessly wide.

Wycombe – who sat three points behind Morecambe ahead of the game – looked the more dangerous side on the attack and went close through Lewis.

The midfielder picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area and after steadying himself, he unleashed a powerful drive, which Arestidou parried centrally but Will Haining was on hand to clear the danger.

Wycombe continued to be more inventive in the final third, with the Shrimps failing to make the ball stick up front.

Matt Spring’s tame effort was comfortably held by Arestidou, before the home side were nearly undone by a pacey counter-attack.

Andy Fleming appeared to be fouled outside the Wycombe penalty box, but after the referee waved play on, Lewis drove forward and played in Jo Kuffour and after beating Haining for pace, his shot across goal was cleared off the line by Robbie Threlfall.

Bentley’s men began to string some spells of possession together with Redshaw looking dangerous once again, but it was the visitors who finished the half the stronger and Kuffour glanced wide when he was left unmarked in the Morecambe six-yard box.

If the home fans had little to get excited about in the first-half that soon changed after the break, as the Shrimps hit the woodwork twice in a matter of seconds.

After Williams’ free-kick was cleared, Threlfall immediately returned the ball to the midfielder but after his shot crashed against the inside of the post, Burrow’s rebounded header was turned onto the crossbar by Matt Ingram at full stretch.

The Shrimps sensed an opening goal as Andy Wright’s powerful shot was blocked, but with the game now seeing chances created at both ends the visitors took the lead.

Spring’s deep free-kick was only half cleared by the Morecambe defence and former Arsenal trainee Lewis was on hand to drive low and hard past Arestidou to send the travelling fans into raptures.

Despite that setback, Bentley’s men pushed forward and Williams’ long range free-kick was fumbled by Ingram, but just as Redshaw was about to tap into an empty net the teenage goalkeeper collected.

Wycombe captain Dave Winfield sneaked in at the back post at the other end, but his scuffed effort was kept out by Arestidou as the Chairboys targeted a second goal.

The Shrimps continued to push forward in search of an equaliser but a compact Wycombe midfield stifled any rhythm Bentley’s side tried to create, while their defence stood firm to deny the Shrimps from snatching another late point.

Morecambe:Arestidou; Wright, McCready, Haining, Threlfall; Williams, Drummond, Fleming, Ellison; Redshaw, Burrow (Alessandra 70).

Unused subs:Roche, Parrish, McGee, McDonald, Mwasile, Holroyd.

Wycombe:Ingam; Harriman, Winfield, Doherty, Dunne; Grant, Spring, Lewis, Wood; Scowen; Kuffour.

Unused subs:Harrison, Johnson, Ainsworth, Andrade, Oli, McCoy, Morias.

Referee:G Eltringham


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account