Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe Res 1, Shrewsbury Res 2

19 August 2013

Reserves lost to the Shrews

TWO goals in two minutes saw the Shrimps’ second string fall to their second defeat of the season on Monday night.
Goals from the excellent Wood on 80 minutes and Anderson two minutes later helped the Shrews to the points after Stewart Drummond’s side had controlled large periods of the game but failed to press home their advantage.
Joe McGee gave the Shrimps hope when he pulled a goal back five minutes from time but there was no way back for Morecambe.
After a low key opening the Shrimps had central defender Chris Doyle to thank for a superb covering tackle to deny Shrews’ forward Anderson who was through on goal after a misfortunate slip from Tyler Hudson. Former Shrewsbury keeper Andreas Arestidou did well to push Anderson to the side but just as he looked set to roll the ball home Doyle appeared from nowhere to produce a goal saving tackle at full stretch.
From there Ginnelly fired just over before the Shrimps produced their first chance of note when Tom Woods blazed over when he was played in down the right hand side.
The second half was much brighter for the Shrimps with Jow Mwasile heading inches wide from a left wing cross and the same player teeing up Woods for a shot that just missed the target.
The busy Woods then forced former Shrimps’ loanee goalkeeper Joe Anyon into a flying save before the Shrews opened the scoring when Woods took advantage of a defensive mix up to start the late goal spree with three goals in five minutes ensuring an exciting finale.
MORECAMBE: Arestidou, Newton (rep Bowman 46), Hudson, Bell, Doyle, McGee, Dunleavy, Kenyon, Woods, Naylor, Mwasile. Subs not used: Kitchen, Lewis, Watson, Colbourne.
SHREWSBURY: Anyon, McSweeney, Richard, Wood, McQuade, Carpenter, Hickman, Fletcher, Ryan (rep Easthope 57), Anderson, Ginnelly (rep Watkins 87). Subs not used: Burton, Astley, Jones,  Molyneux. 

Advertisement block