Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wycombe 1, Morecambe 0

3 August 2013

Opening day defeat for Shrimps

MORECAMBE suffered an opening day defeat at the hands of Wycombe this afternoon.
An early goal from Paris Cowan-Hall was enough to give Gareth Ainsworth's side the three points at Adams Park. 
The Shrimps had the worst possible start when they went a goal down after just six minutes. 
Dean Morgan created space down the left and provided a dangerous cross to the far post where new Chairboys signing Cowan-Hall was on hand to head past Barry Roche from close range.
The Shrimps started the game with four debutants in Tony Diagne, Mark Hughes, Jack Sampson and Padraig Amond with the latter finally getting clearance from the FA to play late on Friday evening.
But the Shrimps started slugglishly with Josh Scowen, Cowan-Hall and the impressive Dean Morgan all having chances as the Chairboys controlled proceedings from the off.
The home side fired early warnings with Dean Morgan crashing an early free-kick over the bar before Anthony Stewart headed inches off target from Sam Wood’s centre as the winger worked a neat short corner with Morgan.
Morecambe rallied briefly with Matt Ingram doing well to save Jack Sampson’s low drive in the 10th minute, but it was still Gareth Ainsworth’s side who were on top and Morgan collected the ball on the right before junking past one defender and forcing Barry Roche into a save from 20 yards.
Wanderers were denied a second in the 25th minute when Scowen was played in on goal by Morgan following a fine passing move, but his shot was saved by Roche with Pittman lurking for a tap-in.
Wood then dragged wide after closing down Chris McCready’s clearance as the Chairboys continued to press.
Wycombe continued to look a threat every time they broke forward with pace and Scowen released Pittman, who beat Wright, before crossing for Marvin McCoy to volley over.
Skipper Stuart Lewis saw a first-time effort parried away by Roche, but Morecambe had their best chance of the first half 10 minutes before the break when McCready crashed a header against the bar from a corner.
The Shrimps grew in confidence after that chance and Ingram did well to tip over Padraig Amond’s powerful strike after the striker had been found 20 yards out.
Blues could have added a second in injury-time when Wood won the ball back on halfway and released Cowan-Hall, but the winger’s shot was comfortably saved by Roche when he had other options as the Blues again broke at pace and in numbers.
Morgan flashed a low strike just wide of the far post five minutes after the restart after dispossessing a Morecambe defender in the area and the forward then forced Roche into a save low to his left.
Jack Sampson gave Wanderers a fright just past the hour mark when he fired inches wide, but Morgan quickly broke up the other end, only to be denied again by Roche.
A mistake from Roche saw Cowan-Hall try his luck from 25 yards, however, his shot was blocked and subsequently cleared by a defender.
Ingram produced a fine stop 15 minutes from time, diving full length to his left to tip away Sampson’s well-controlled first-time strike as the Shrimps tried, but failed, to open their account for the season.
Wanderers: Ingram, McCoy, Dunne, Johnson, Stewart, Cowan-Hall (Arnold 87), Lewis (c), Scowen, Wood, Morgan (Kretzschmar 87), Pittman.
Subs not used: Horlock, Hause, Morias, Kuffour, Craig.

Morecambe: Roche, Wright, McCready, Diagne (Parrish 71), Hughes (c), Williams, Fleming, Drummond, Ellison (Mwasile 66), Sampson, Amond.
Subs not used: Arestidou, Threlfall, Kenyon, McGee.

Attendance: 3,284

Advertisement block