Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shrewsbury Res 4, Morecambe Res 1

15 January 2013

Heavy defeat for second string

THE Shrimps' second string slipped to a heavy defeat at Shrewsbury this afternoon.

Tom Bradshaw struck a hat-trick as Shrewsbury took the spoils over Stewart Drummond's side in the Central League at the Greenhous Meadow this afternoon.
Bradshaw took his goals well and was joined on the scoresheet by Aaron Wildig while goalkeeper Joe Anyon, a former Morecambe loanee, also produced a penalty save.
Shrewsbury fielded their strongest reserve team this season with starts for on loan trio Yado Mambo and Cameron Gayle, who teamed up together at the heart of the back four, and Stephen McGinn in midfield.
Fit-again Luke Summerfield, Asa Hall, Wildig, Paul Parry and Bradshaw were among the other first team squad members keen to put themselves in the frame for a starting place in this weekend's League One clash at Swindon.
Morecambe included Ryan Williams, Andy Wright and Andy Parrish while former Town goalkeeper Andreas Arestidou returned to his former club.
Town made a positive start with Hall hammering narrowly wide with a well struck 25 yard drive.
They took the lead as early as the third minute when Wildig, playing on the left side of midfield, played a long aerial ball into the Morecambe box and Bradshaw raced on to it before firing confidently to the bottom corner of the net.
Bradshaw quickly struck again in the ninth minute, showing good awareness again to convert a Paul Parry cross from the right.
Shrewsbury continued to dominate and Hall, set up by Summerfield, bent a shot just over the top as the hosts looked dangerous every time they went forward.
Morecambe finally put together an attack of their own in the 15th minute but goalkeeper Joe Anyon came racing off his line to save bravely at the feet of Jack Redshaw.
It was soon followed by the visitors pulling one back nine minutes later, Andrew Wright nodding home a right-wing cross.
But Town were quickly back in their stride and McGinn, heavily involved in midfield, hammered a shot past Arestidou after cutting inside only to be denied by a goalline clearance from Aaron McGowan.
Wildig was then played clear but his shot was blocked by the legs of the keeper before he made amends almost immediately in the 29th minute, smashing home a shot from 15 yards to the bottom corner of the net to make it 3-1.
Town continued to look lively going forward and Parry was unfortunate to see his clever curling shot from the edge of the box hit the foot of a post.
Shrewsbury moved further in front early in the second half when Bradshaw received the ball after a neat move and drilled confidently past Arestidou to complete his hat-trick.
Young left back Sam Westray and the more experienced Parry then went close with shots from outside the box as Town continued to chase more goals.
Morecambe were awarded a penalty 15 minutes from time when McGinn caught Redshaw but the same player then took the spot kick and was denied by a fine save from Anyon.
Town might have swiftly added to their tally but Arestidou saved from both Wildig and Hall in quick succession.
SHREWSBURY: Joe Anyon, Ryan Woods, Yado Mambo, Cameron Gayle, Sam Westray, Aaron Wildig, Luke Summerfield, Steve McGinn, Asa Hall, Paul Parry, Tom Bradshaw. Subs: Jack Gwilliams, Warren Holmes, Scott Ryan, Callum Burton. 

MORECAMBE: Andreas Arestidou, Aaron McGowan, James Short, Andrew Parrish, Chris Doyle, Joe McGee, Ryan Williams, Andrew Wright, Dan Parkinson, Jack Redshaw, Daniel Dunleavy. Subs: Luke Pybis, Tom Woods, Michael Newton, Alex Naylor.

Advertisement block