Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Fleetwood 2, Morecambe 2

12 April 2014

Club News

Fleetwood 2, Morecambe 2

12 April 2014

Hume denies Shrimps' win

A LATE goal from Iain Hume denied the Shrimps all three points at promotion-chasers Fleetwood.

The on-loan Preston striker converted from close range six minutes from time after Barry Roche had done well to block Jon Parkin’s original effort.

Antoni Sarcevic’s 10th-minute strike had seen the Shrimps go behind early on but Mark Hughes’ header half-way through the first half and then Nathan Pond’s own goal had them sensing a huge three points in their battle against relegation.

It wasn’t to be but this was a much-improved Morecambe display as they ended a run of three defeats.

The Shrimps, with four changes from the defeat against Mansfield, made a good start but were behind 10 minutes in.

Andy Wright brought down Josh Morris 25 yards from goal and Sarcevic stepped up and fired a low effort beyond Roche and into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

But having picked up the most points in the Football League from losing positions this season the Shrimps were level on 21 minutes.

Jamie Devitt whipped in a left-wing corner well won by Padraig Amond with skipper Hughes beating his man at the back post to power home a header from close range.

The scoreline reflected what was an even game at Highbury with clear cut chances few and far between.

Roche did well to collect a flicked Pond header shortly after the half hour with the Shrimps looking a threat on the counter attack.

Kevin Ellison had one of the better chances for the visitors, seeing a controlled volley from 18 yards clip the top of the net 10 minutes before the break.

Hume should have put the hosts ahead on 38 minutes but saw his tame shot blocked on the line by Ryan Edwards after good work down the left from David Ball.

The Shrimps were first to go close in the second half, Devitt dragging a shot wide from distance just two minutes after the break as the visitors came out of the dressing room by far the brighter.

Skipper Hughes gifted Ball a golden chance on 52 minutes however and the Shrimps were fortunate that Edwards was on hand to produce another important block as the hosts grew into the half.

The game continued to be a game of few chances however, Sarcevic firing wide from 20 yards for the hosts on 69 minutes.

And the Shrimps went ahead three minutes later - Devitt cut in from the left and his vicious in-swinging centre was helped into his own net by the head of Pond.

Fleetwood went in search of an equaliser, Josh Morris dragging a shot wide nine minutes from time before the hosts levelled things up on 84 minutes.

Roche did well to rush out to deny substitute Parkin but Hume had a simple task and walked the ball into the net to set up a frantic finish.

The hosts sensed a victory but it was Morecambe who came the closest with Charlie Taylor’s spectacular goal line header denying Robbie Threlfall a winning goal in stoppage time.

FLEETWOOD: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Roberts (capt) (Parkin 75), Pond, Taylor, Goodall (Evans 60), Blair, Morris, Sarcevic, Ball, Hume. Subs not used: Davies, Schumacher, Cresswell, Jordan, Barton.

Booked: Sarcevic

MORECAMBE: Roche, Beeley, Hughes (capt), Parrish, Edwards, Mustoe, Kenyon, Wright, Devitt (Redshaw 81), Ellison, Amond (Threlfal 81). Subs not used: Arestidou, Sampson, McGee, McGowan.

Booked: Devitt, Edwards

Referee: Tony Harrington

Attendance: 3,114

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account