Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe 2, Kilmarnock 2: Match Report

4 August 2014

Club News

Morecambe 2, Kilmarnock 2: Match Report

4 August 2014

Mullin makes an immediate impression

New signing Paul Mullin made an immediate impact by scoring twice as Morecambe continued their pre-season campaign with an encouraging 2-2 draw with Scottish Premier League side Kilmarnock writes MICHAEL GARVEY.

Second half substitute Mullin, who was only announced as a Morecambe player just before kick-off netted two well taken goals after coming on to earn The Shrimps a draw in a match that really came alive in the final 20 minutes.

The game began with both sides having opportunities, 
Morecambe were denied what looked to be a clear penalty after Kevin Ellison was brought down whilst rounding Kilmarnock keeper Craig Samson, referee Darren Bond waving away the protests of Morecambe players and fans alike.

At the other end a mix up between Ryan Williams and Alan Goodall put Jamie Hamill through on goal, his shot beat Morecambe keeper Barry Roche but was cleared off the line by Morecambe captain Mark Hughes who made an impressive sliding block to keep the score level.

The rest of the first half was a very even affair with both sides creating half chances before Morecambe defender Mark Hughes once again came to his side's rescue with a last ditch tackle to block Josh Magennis’s shot on the stroke of half time.

The second half began much in the same fashion as both sides struggled to create clear cut chances.
The introduction of Kilmarnock substitute Tope Obadeyi brought more life to the game as he surged past two Morecambe defenders after coming on, cutting in from the right hand side before having his shot parried away by Barry Roche. 

Kilmarnock took the lead in the 70th minute when Chris Johnston’s cross from the left was headed home into the top corner by Magennis, much to the delight of the Killie fans behind the goal.
The Shrimps' reply was immediate, substitute Paul Mullin who had been on the pitch for just seconds burst down the left before cutting in and firing a right footed shot low into the bottom corner.
The former Huddersfield man could have had a second moments later, seeing his shot go just wide of the post before notching again in the 82nd minute with a good finish from the right hand side of the box which hit the inside of the post and went in.

The Shrimps looked to be on course for a well-earned victory but Obadeyi showed a touch of genius in the final moments of the game, firing an unstoppable finish into the top corner from outside the box with his left foot to ensure the game ended all square. 

Manager Jim Bentley will have been pleased with his sides performance with many positives to take away from the game before his side begin their League Two campaign next Saturday away to Dagenham and Redbridge.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley, Hughes (capt) (Doyle), Parrish, Wilson, Goodall (Drummond), Fleming (Wright), Williams (Kenyon), Devitt (Amond), Ellison (Mullin), Redshaw (Sampson). Subs not used: Arestidou, McGowan.

Kilmarnock: Samson, Hamill, Connolly (Ashcroft), McKenzie, Johnston, Cairney (Obadeyi), Trialist, Slater, Trialist (Barbour), Magennis (Muirhead), Pascali. Subs not used: Brennan, Trialist, Davidson, O’Hara, Kiltie. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account