Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe 1 Bury 0

15 November 2014

Ellison finish sees the Shrimps to victory against high flying Bury

Kevin Ellison scored the only goal of the game as Morecambe produced a fine performance to beat high flying Bury.

The veteran striker was in the right place at the right time to score 20 minutes from time after Jack Redshaw’s shot was only parried by Scott Loach.

After coming into the game on the back of the disappointing defeat at Dover Morecambe had the game’s first real chance on 11 minutes, Ellison looping a header onto the roof of the net after Mark Hughes had kept a corner alive.

Ellison then blasted a good opportunity from a free-kick 20 yards out straight into the Bury wall on 18 minutes as an entertaining opening spell continued.

For Bury, who looked lively with excellent movement in the final third, Chris Hussey’s free-kick was easily held by Scott Davies on 22 minutes.

Paul Mullin’s nice turn on 25 minutes gave him space in the area but the angle was tight and former Shrimps loanee Scott Loach turned the ball round the post.

Moments later Nicky Adams found himself in time and space on the edge of area after a slick Bury move but could only shank a left-footed effort over the bar when he should have done better.

Ten minutes before the break Danny Mayor, the pick of the visiting players as he roamed freely in behind the front two, was allowed to run in on the right side of the area but Davies was equal to his shot at the near post.

The Shrimps had the better of things in the early stages after the break without forcing Loach into action, the closest they came a Hughes shot from a corner that was hacked away from inside the six-yard area.

But Bury warmed into the half in front of their vocal travelling support, Danny Rose’s short on the turn just after the hour mark being well saved by Davies low to his right.

The stalemate was broken on 69 minutes, replacement Redshaw making room for a shot on the edge of area with Loach’s save landing on the left foot of Ellison who following in made no mistake from six yards.

Morecambe had the advantage but the game continued to go from end-to-end, Rose failing to make proper contact on a header when found unmarked by Daniel Nardiello on 73 minutes.

For the Shrimps, Redshaw forced a fine low save from Loach after he was given time to shoot from 25 yards out seven minutes from time.

Ellison had the best chances to settle the game however, pulling a glorious opening wide from 12 yards on 84 minutes before bringing a save from Loach after being found by a long ball over the top.

As Bury pushed they left themselves open at the back, Redshaw again testing Loach from outside the area as the on-loan Rotherham man helped the ball round the post two minutes from time.

Ryan Edwards was next to go close, Loach tipping over his header from a Laurence Wilson corner.

Bury threw men forward in search of a leveller but didn’t test Davies as Morecambe picked up a big win.

Morecambe: Davies, Parrish, Hughes (capt), Edwards, Beeley, Goodall, Kenyon (Redshaw 66), Fleming, Wilson, Mullin (Bakrhuizen 76), Ellison (Wright 86). Subs not used: Lumley, Williams, McGowan, McCready.

Bury: Loach, Cameron, Mills, McNulty (capt), Hussey, Soares, Tutte (Nardiello 55), Etuhu, Mayor, Rose, Adams (Duffus 80). Subs not used: Lainton, Sedgwick, Thompson, O’Brien.

Booked: Cameron.

Referee: David Coote

Attendance: 2,665

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account