Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe 1-3 Wycombe

11 October 2014

Match Reports

Morecambe 1-3 Wycombe

11 October 2014

Shrimps suffer second successive home defeat

Morecambe suffered a second successive home defeat on a controversial afternoon at the Globe Arena.

the Shrimps maintained their unwanted record of never beating the Chairboys and two stunning goals from the visitors helped the visitors take the three points to move them to the top of League 2.

To make matters worse the Shrimps played the majority of the second half with only 10 men after Jamie Devitt was harshly sent off for a tussle with Peter Murphy.

Sam Wood gave Wycombe the lead with a stunning goal after just 10 minutes.

The former Brentford man flicked the ball inside his marker and it bounced up allowing him to unleash a 40-yard volley that flew into the top corner beyond the scrambling Barry Roche to gasps around the ground.

Paul Hayes nearly made it two a couple of minutes later but could only poke the ball into the side netting when in on the left side of the area.

The Shrimps hit back and were denied a clear penalty when Aaron Pierre brought down Kevin Ellison in the box with a foul that would have undoubtedly lead to a red card for the visitors' defender.

The to add insult to injury Wycombe went 2-0 up seconds later.

Alfie Mawson’s header from a corner was cleared off the line with skipper Hayes on hand to poke the ball home from close range.

What had been an entertaining contest was halted 10 minutes before the break after Aaron Pierre collided with his goalkeeper Matt Ingram under pressure from Ellison.

After five minutes on the ground the defender thankfully got to his feet and left the field to be replaced by Matt Bloomfield.

The injury meant seven minutes of time were added to the first period and it was three minutes into it that the Shrimps pulled a goal back.

Devitt jinked his way down the left wing before standing up a cross for Fleming to flick a header home.
The hosts’ momentum was halted five minutes into the second half however when Devitt was sent off.

The winger was harshly dismissed after he appeared to raise an arm to former Accrington man Peter Murphy who was objecting to a challenge by Devitt.

The Shrimps were next to go close however with Paul Mullin firing over from a narrow angle when he should have hit the target.

At the other end, Roche had to be alert at his near post to beat away Matt Kretschmar’s shot from a narrow angle shortly before the hour mark.

Kretschmar had an even better chance on 61 minutes but could only hit the outside of the post when in one-on-one.
The visitors all but made the game safe 20 minutes from time. After a soft free-kick had been given against Alex Kenyon, Jacobson stepped up and fired in a fine 30-yard free-kick that took a slight deflection on its way into the top-right corner of Roche’s net.

The Shrimps didn’t throw in the towel however, substitute Padraig Amond dragging a shot narrowly wide five minutes from time as Bentley’s side tried to keep the game alive but they couldn't get a second goal to set up a thrilling finale on a day where the officials were the main topic of conversation.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley, Hughes (capt), Parrish, Goodall, Devitt, Kenyon (McCready 78), Fleming, Ellison (Sampson 81), Redshaw (Amond 75), Mullin. Subs not used: Arestidou, Edwards, Williams, McGowan.

Booked: Ellison

Sent off: Devitt

Wycombe Wanderers: Ingram, Jombati, Pierre (Bloomfield 43), Mawson, Jacobson, Cowan-Hall (Holloway 88), Scowen, Kretschmar, Wood, Murphy, Hayes (capt) (Craig 78). Subs not used: Richardson, McClure, Walker.

Booked: Scowen, Wood, Craig

Referee: Philip Gibbs

Attendance: 1,710

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account