Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 September 2014

Reserves suffer derby day defeat

On a sunny afternoon at the Globe Arena, Morecambe reserves fell to a disappointing defeat in their Final Third Development League Cup tie against Fleetwood Town reserves.
The Shrimps, led by Kevin Ellison from the sidelines, stood toe-to-toe with Town in the early stages but a Matty Hughes penalty on 19 minutes put the home side on the back foot.
Minutes later, they doubled their lead through Stewart Murdoch and despite being held going into half time, the Cod Army had their third early in the second period with Jeff Hughes netting on 55 minutes.
The hosts fought hard to get a foothold in the game thereafter, but chances failed to come and Fleetwood eventually ran out comfortable winners.
The visitors enjoyed the majority of possession in the opening stages but Morecambe, with a three-man midfield working hard, stood firm and chances were at a premium.
On 15 minutes, Morecambe had the first chance of the game. Captain Aaron McGowan linked up well with Jack Redshaw to set up an opportunity for Tom McCready, but his powerful strike from the edge of the area drifted just wide.
But it was Fleetwood who opened the scoring on 19 minutes through Matty Hughes, who slotted home a penalty for the first goal of the game following a Mark Hughes hand ball.
This score gave the visitors some real momentum and they soon doubled their lead as Murdoch was on hand to notch their second.
After a sustained spell of pressure, Jamie Allen broke into a gap in the Shrimps midfield and laid the ball off to his right, giving Murdoch space to unleash a powerful drive past Andreas Arestidou.
Despite Town taking a commanding grip on the game, Morecambe had the next chance with Paul Mullin testing ex-Shrimp Scott Davies in the Fleetwood goal after a good piece of skill from Jack Sampson, who was working hard on the flanks.
The chance seemed to settle the home side with the scores staying at 2-0 going into half time.
The second half began in similar fashion to the first with neither side taking charge of the game but, on 55 minutes, Jeff Hughes buried Fleetwood’s third of the game.
Town flew down the right with Tom Davies who floated a fine cross into the six yard box and ex-Notts County man Hughes was well positioned to take advantage as he hit a controlled volley into the back of the net. 
Morecambe then began to throw men forward to keep the game alive and this almost came off when Aaron McGowan drilled a dangerous looking cross into the six yard box and substitute Jack Kelleher hit the post with his effort - arguably Morecambe’s best chance of the game.
Despite their best efforts, which produced one half-chance for Jack Sampson in the closing minutes, the Shrimps could not hit back and Fleetwood ran out winners by three goals to nil.
Morecambe: Andreas Arestidou, Aaron McGowan, Will Beesley (rep Charlie Bailey 80), Chris Doyle, Mark Hughes, Stewart  Drummond (rep Ben Thomas 87), Jack Sampson, Andy Wright, Jack Redshaw (rep jack Kelleher 60), Tom McCready, Paul Mullin. Subs not used:: Tom Stewart, Cameron Rigby, Aaron Pomeyie, Josh Signey. 

Advertisement block