Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe 1 Accrington 1

3 April 2015

Club News

Morecambe 1 Accrington 1

3 April 2015

10 man Stanley hold Morecambe to a 1-1 draw at The Globe Arena

Morecambe’s winless run against East Lancashire rivals Accrington Stanley continues as the two teams drew 1-1 at the Globe Arena.

A headed goal from Kevin Ellison had put The Shrimps’ ahead only for them be pegged back just minutes later by a spectacular strike from Liverpool loanee Lloyd Jones in a game that had no end of drama.  

The visitors started well and it took a great bit of defending by Mark Hughes in the 5th minute to prevent them from taking the lead as he hooked the ball back off the line after McCartan had tried to lift the ball over a helpless Ward. 

In the 13th minute Jack Redshaw burst into the box but his shot was beaten away by former Morecambe keeper Scott Davies. The resulting corner led to a free kick just outside the box which Jamie Devitt put over the bar. 

Stanley had another chance to take the lead midway through the first half when Josh Windass crossed the ball to Gornell who fired a shot against the bar. At the other end Fleming put Devitt through on goal but his attempted chip went over the advancing Davies and the top of the goal.

The Shrimps’ took the lead after 25 minutes after a corner found Edwards who headed it into the path of Ellison who nodded it past Davies into the goal from close range.

The scores were level again just minutes later when Lloyd Jones hit a spectacular shot from about 35 yards which looped into the top corner of his Liverpool teammate Danny Ward’s goal. Jones nearly grabbed a second shortly after but his shot was saved by Ward from close quarters as tempers started to flare. 

Accrington manager John Coleman and Morecambe goalkeeping coach Lee Jones were both sent to the stands for their part in a touchline bust up after a foul on Devitt.

With the half drawing to a close a shot from Windass was spilt by Ward only for Shaun Beeley to come to the rescue and put the ball out of play for a corner. Terry Gornell was then sent off for a dangerous lunge on Laurence Wilson as tensions continued to run high. 

On the stroke of half-time Jack Redshaw had a shot that was deflected wide after a good move by the hosts.  The whistle went shortly afterwards to give everyone a chance to catch their breath as the two sides went in level.

The second half began much in the same mood as the first had ended with tackles flying in from both sides. Morecambe were then awarded a penalty after Kevin Ellison was brought down in the box. Laurence Wilson stepped up and missed the chance to put his team ahead, blazing his shot over the bar into The Shrimps’ fans stood behind the goal. 

The second half didn’t quite have the intensity and drama of the first, Windass fired a shot over for Stanley while Morecambe looked to up the pressure and make their numerical advantage count by introducing Paul Mullin and Padraig Amond.

Accrington pushed forward looking the more likely to score as the half went on and had shouts for a penalty of their own turned down after a challenge from Andy Parrish. Andy Fleming fired a shot wide from outside the box for Morecambe as the game entered the closing stages. 

In the end though, the game petered out into a draw as Morecambe’s winless run over Stanley continues. 

Morecambe: Ward, Beeley, Edwards, Hughes (Goodall 36), Parrish, Wilson, Devitt (Mullin 68), Fleming, Wildig (Amond 80), Ellison, Redshaw.

Subs not used: Arestidou, McGowan, Wright, Kenyon. 

Accrington Stanley: Davies, Joyce, Jones, McCartan (Conneely 74), Windass, Gornell, Naismith (Buxton 67), Mingoia, Barry (Maguire45), Atkinson, Crooks.

Subs not used: Warner, Hunt, Gilchrist, Bruna.

Attendance: 1982 (255 away)

Match Report: Michael Garvey

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account