Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe 3 Portsmouth 1

11 April 2015

Two rare goals from Alex Kenyon and a Padraig Amond special helped Morecambe to a first win in six League 2 home games

Kenyon had only scored once for the Shrimps before the game but goals in the 10th and 69th minutes put the Shrimps in a commanding position.

But a Conor Chaplin strike on 85 minutes set up an interesting finale until Amond’s stunning injury time goal settled any nerves as the game required 11 minutes of stoppage time after a serious head injury to Josh Passley which left him requiring hospital treatment.

Morecambe made a bright start with Laurence Wilson and Paul Mullin bringing saves from Paul Jones inside the first five minutes.

Despite a scare shortly after as Dan Butler’s corner was scrambled clear the Shrimps’ positive opening was rewarded on 10 minutes with the game’s first goal when Kenyon rose highest to head home Jamie Devitt’s whipped corner at the near post for his second Shrimps goal.

Portsmouth, with just two away wins to their name all season, had their best chance five minutes before the break.

Matt Tubbs forced a fine save from Danny Ward after  on the right edge of the area who twisted and turned his way past Andy Parrish only to be denied by a fine save from showing great skill to fire on goal.

There was also time before the interval for Jed Wallace to drag a left-foot shot wide from 20 yards.

The visitors were then nearly right back in the game 30 seconds into the second half but Ryan Edwards was in the right place at the right time to block Wallace’s effort on the line.

Again it was a half of few clear-cut chances however, as the good football played by both sides in the  first half became increasingly error-strewn.

But it mattered not to the Shrimps who doubled their lead on 69 minutes from another corner.

Devitt’s centre was this time met by the head of Andy Parrish with Jones producing a fine save only for the rebound to be hooked in off the underside of the bar by Kenyon.

The game was then halted for seven minutes with a quarter of an hour play after Passley suffered a serious head injury in an innocuous clash with Laurence Wilson.

Morecambe were slow to start after the stoppage and were punished five minutes before the end of normal time when substitute Chaplin drilled a low shot past Ward.

It set up a nervy finale for the hosts with 11 minutes of stoppage time needed after Passley’s injury.

But those nerves were calmed when Amond produced a stunning volley that flew into the top left hand corner of the Pompey goal.

Morecambe: Ward, Beeley, Edwards, Parrish (capt), Wilson, Kenyon, Fleming, Wildig (Wright 68), Devitt (McGowan 86), Amond, Mullin (Ellison 68). 

Subs not used: Arestidou, Drummond, Watson, Bondswell.

Portsmouth: Jones, Passley (Webster 82), Nosworthy, Devera, Butler, Dunne, Atangana, Wallace, Fogden (Chaplin 57), Tubbs, Taylor (capt) (Westcarr 74).

Subs not used: Cornell, Shorey, Hollands, Close.

Referee: Stephen Martin

Attendance: 2,065 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account