Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe vs Dagenham & Redbridge

1 December 2015

Match Reports

Morecambe vs Dagenham & Redbridge

1 December 2015

Match Report: Morecambe 1-0 Dagenham

MORECAMBE picked up a welcome home win with a first half goal from Paul Mullin sealing the points for Jim Bentley's side.

Mullin scored the only goal of the game on 31 minutes when he followed up the rebound after his penalty was saved by Liam O'Brien.

The only downside to the night was the loss of goalkeeper Barry Roche who pulled up with an injury after just 20 minutes although substitute Tony Thompson gave an assured display after coming off the  bench for his first Morecambe appearance.

Boss Jim Bentley made four changes to the starting line up with Peter Murphy making his first start since the opening day of the season and Anton Forrester making his debut up front.

Morecambe started well and had the games best early chance but after breaking half the length of the field 60 seconds later Tom Barkhuizen could only drag his shot wide.

 Aaron Wildig then saw a shot from 20 yards cleared off the line after he met Mullin's corner sweetly.

The hosts didn't have to wait much longer for a goal however as they capped their best spell of the game with the opening goal on the half hour.

Shaun Beeley beat his man with a fine turn down the left and was hauled down in the box. Mullin saw his initial spot kick saved by Liam OBrien but fired home the rebound.

Dagenham were still well in the game though, Josh Labadie the first to worry Thompson with a low shot from distance that crept wide five minutes before the break.

It was the visitors who came out of the traps the quicker after the interval with Jack Connors cross clipping the bar with Thompson beaten.

At the other end Kevin Ellison used all his experience to buy a free-kick 20 yards out before seeing a well-struck effort deflected over by a Dagenham head.

The Shrimps next chance came from another set piece just before the hour mark, Liam O'Brien helping over Mullin's effort as the hosts built pressure.

Anton Forrester, on his first Morecambe start, was the next to go close but O'Brien was equal to his low effort.

It was turning into a scrappy, nervy contest, but The Shrimps continued to have the better of the chances, Ellisons hooked effort 15 minutes from time being well held by OBrien.

Dagenham pushed for a leveller in the closing stages but the closest they came was Jamie Cureton's tame overhead kick that was easily held by Thompson as a relieved Globe Arena celebrated a welcome win.

Morecambe: Roche (Thompson 20), Edwards, Parrish, Dugdale, Beeley, Wildig, Murphy (capt), Barkhuizen, Ellison, Mullin (Wilson 90), Forrester (Miller 83). Subs not used: Kenyon, Devitt, Molyneux, Doyle.

Dagenham: OBrien, Passley, Dikamona, Obileye, Connors, Chambers (Vassell 46), Labadie (Mulraney 68), Boucaud (capt), Dunne, Hemmings (Jones 68), Cureton. Subs not used: Cousins, Raymond, Pask, Hoyte.

Booked: Labadie

Referee: S Martin

Attendance: 1,027 (23 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account