Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe 0 - 0 Stevenage

3 January 2015

Morecambe 0 - 0 Stevenage

Morecambe recorded a second draw of the season against Stevenage this afternoon.

The Shrimps had the best chance to break the deadlock but Sunday's two goal hero Jack Redshaw crashed a first-half penalty against the crossbar after Kevin Ellison was brought down.

Both sides had chances, particularly in the first half, but the second period was a less than spectacular affair as the game ended in a stalemate.

The hosts made a slow start and were indebted to Scott Davies, playing the last game of his loan spell from Fleetwood, who made two fantastic early saves.

Davies first denied Adam Marriott one-on-one after a Ryan Edwards error 10 minutes in before producing a full stretch save to help Darius Charles’ header round the post as the Shrimps failed to clear a free-kick.

Morecambe were handed a golden opportunity to put the poor opening to bed on 16 minutes when Charles was adjudged to have pulled back Kevin Ellison in the area.

Redshaw stepped up but his powerful effort from 12 yards was always rising and hit the top of the bar on its way into the Morecambe fans.

As the game opened up the Shrimps were next to go close, Alan Goodall rising well to head Jamie Devitt’s free-kick on to the roof of the net on 21 minutes.

Five minutes later Goodall again went close as the Shrimps began to take command, his drilled shot bringing a good save from Chris Day after Charles had twice been robbed of possession.

In a game that had showed plenty of promise the remainder of the half was a scrappy affair, Charles seeing an effort cleared off the line by Stewart Drummond before Devitt sliced an effort wide after a swift Shrimps break.

Charlie Lee came the closest to breaking the deadlock with his shot from 20 yards in first-half stoppage time going narrowly wide of Davies’ right-hand post.

The Shrimps were first to go close after the break, Day saving well low to his left on 53 minutes after Drummond had risen highest to meet Ryan Edwards’ deep cross.

But chances for either side were few and far between in a poor second half.

It was another Drummond header that represented the Shrimps’ next chance, his effort this time landing on the roof of the net from Laurence Wilson’s cross 20 minutes from time.

The Shrimps then survived a late penalty claim when Stevenage substitute Ronnie Deacon looked to have been brought down by Alan Goodall but the referee waved play on much to the Shrimps' relief.

Morecambe: Davies, Parrish, Hughes (capt), Edwards (Amond 69), Beeley, Drummond, Goodall, Wilson, Devitt (Sampson 87), Ellison, Redshaw (Mullin 62). 

Subs not used: Arestidou, Kenyon, McGowan, McCready.

Booked: Devitt, Mullin

Stevenage: Day, Henry (capt), Charles, Wells, Okimo, Pett, Parrett, McAllister, Whelpdale (Zola 79), Lee (Conlon 62), Marriott (Deacon 70). 

Subs not used: Beasant S, Walton, Zola, Beardsley.

Booked: Henry, Charles.

Attendance: 1,530 (88 away)

Referee: Christopher Sarginson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account