Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Plymouth 1 Morecambe 1

24 January 2015

Club News

Plymouth 1 Morecambe 1

24 January 2015

Shrimps remain unbeaten in 2015 after a well earned point at Home Park

MORECAMBE extended their unbeaten run with a well deserved point at Home Park.

The Pilgrims opened the scoring in stoppage time at the end of the first half with a well-taken 14th goal of the season from top scorer Reuben Reid but the Shrimps hit back in the second period with a deserved leveller from Jack Redshaw.

The Shrimps made just one change to the side that drew at Cheltenham last week with Laurence Wilson returning to the starting line up in place of Aaron McGowan who dropped to the bench.

The home side created the first effort on goal when Bobby Reid curled a free kick narrowly wide of the left post.

Morecambe had a tremendous chance to take the lead in the 17th minute through Padraig Amond.

The Shrimps’ striker found some space in between the Argyle defenders but his low shot was superbly saved by McCormick.

Argyle had another opportunity in the 25th minute after Bobby Reid deftly lifted the ball over the top of Morecambe’s defence.

Reuben Reid got in behind them but his hooked shot was blocked by keeper Andreas Arestidou.

Former Shrimps’ striker Lewis Alessandra had a fierce angled drive pushed wide by Arestidou before McCormick produced another excellent save in the 39th minute.

Amond looked like scoring with a looping header until McCormick, at full stretch and diving backwards, flicked the ball over the bar.

Argyle had a good spell of possession towards the end of the first half and Reuben Reid put them into lead in the third minute of stoppage time.

He held off a Morecambe defender as he chested down a long, precise pass from Bobby Reid.

The Pilgrims’ striker took the ball past Arestidou and slotted into the empty net for his 14th goal of the season.

There was still time before the break for the Shrimps to have a chance to equalise.

Midfielder Stewart Drummond unleashed a fierce volley which was headed clear by Argyle centre-back Curtis Nelson.

Argyle were forced into a substitution at the interval as McCormick was replaced by Bittner.

McCormick had suffered a finger injury when he made the first of his two saves from Amond and could not continue after the break.

It meant a debut for Bittner, who had been warming up towards the end of the first half.

Argyle could have extended their lead soon after the restart but Bobby Reid was denied by a good block from Arestidou in a one-on-one situation.

That save proved to be very important as Morecambe drew level in the 52nd minute.

A corner from Jamie Devitt was flicked on and Redshaw got the finishing touch from close range.

Redshaw had an excellent chance to put the visitors ahead in the 75th minute when he broke into the box but Bittner made a good sprawling save.

The lively Morecambe striker also had a long range drive well held onto by Bittner as Argyle struggled to create any chances of their own.

Nathan Thomas was an 86th minute substitute for Cox before Ellison squandered a tremendous chance for the Shrimps.

Ellison was found by a clever flicked pass from Redshaw but stumbled as he was about to shoot and the ball went harmlessly out of play.

Despite four minutes of added time, neither team could come up with a winning goal.

ARGYLE: McCormick (rep Bittner 45); Nelson, McHugh, Flanagan; Lee (rep Brunt 68);  Mellor, B Reid, Cox (rep Thomas 86 mins), Purrington; R Reid, Alessandra.

Subs not used: Norburn, Banton, Bentley.

MORECAMBE: Arestidou; Edwards, Hughes, Parrish; Beeley, Drummond (rep Fleming 76 mins), Kenyon (rep Goodall 66 mins), Wilson, Devitt, Redshaw, Amond (rep Ellison 66 mins).

Subs not used: Sampson, Mullin, McGowan, Jones.

REFEREE: Oliver Langford (West Midlands)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account