Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe 0-1 Hartlepool United

14 March 2015

Match Reports

Morecambe 0-1 Hartlepool United

14 March 2015

Morecambe 0-1 Hartlepool United

Morecambe suffered a third consecutive home defeat with an agonising 1-0 loss to Hartlepool United.

The Shrimps enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges but the visitors stood firm and took the lead through an own goal from Andy Parrish on 35 minutes.

The Shrimps came out for the second half in determined mood and substitute Jack Sampson came close to an equaliser on 69 minutes before a dominant final 20 minutes from the hosts. 

Despite their best efforts, luck was not on Morecambe's side as Stewart Drummond and Kevin Ellison also came close, but no equaliser came.

Morecambe began the game well, forcing Hartlepool into a number of early errors, but the visitors had the first major chance of the game - Dan Jones heading wide from a corner on eight minutes.

But the hosts continued to dictate the play. 

Jack Redshaw's cross was hacked away by the Pools defence inside the six yard box, before Kevin Ellison fired well over after some good interplay between the winger and Padraig Amond on 26 minutes.

Despite the hosts' dominance, the visitors took the lead as half time approached.

A hopeful long ball down field led to confusion between Andy Parrish and Mark Hughes and Parrish proved to be the unfortunate party, diverting the ball past Andreas Arestidou as he looked to clear.

The second half was a stop-start affair, with injuries to Pools players punctuating first few minutes. However, the introduction of Sampson and Drummond finally turned the tide in the Shrimps' favour.

Sampson was first to go close, but came across a bundle of visiting defenders who scuppered his chances of a first goal of the season.

That chance shifted the momentum firmly towards the Shrimps and the home side laid siege to the Hartlepool goal throughout the final 20 minutes.

Ellison and Fleming had shots hacked clear shortly after Sampson's effort, before a long-range shot from Amond was deflected just over. 

Then Drummond drilled towards goal, but his strike flashed narrowly wide and nestled in the side netting.

The home side were well on top and Ellison was next to go close, but his shot pinged off the top of the bar and over.

The Shrimps then spent the final ten minutes camped in the Hartlepool box but the stubborn Pools defence held out.

No clear-cut chances fell the way of the home side and the visitors held on, consigning Morecambe to another home defeat.​

Morecambe: Arestidou; Beeley (rep McGowan 85), Hughes, Parrish, Wilson; Fleming, Wright (Drummond 65); Amond, Mullin (Sampson 65), Redshaw, Ellison. 

Subs not used: Stewart, Kenyon, Williams, Goodall.

Hartlepool: Flinders, Austin, Franks, Walker (Hawkins 73), Featherstone, Dan Jones, Duckworth, Harrison, Mirfin, Tshibola, Bird. 

Subs not used: Maxted, Holden, Harewood, Richards, Smith, Jordan Jones.

Attendance: 1,673 (307)

LCR Systems Man of the Match: Laurence Wilson.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account