Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe vs Dagenham & Redbridge

17 November 2015

Match Reports

Morecambe vs Dagenham & Redbridge

17 November 2015

Morecambe 2-4 Dagenham & Redbridge

THE SHRIMPS bowed out of the FA Cup as they let a two goal slip against old rivals Dagenham this evening.

On a night dominated by strong winds and rain Morecambe started the first round replay superbly with two goals in the opening seven minutes of the game but from there it all went wrong as the bottom side in League 2 controlled the game and clinched their passage into round two and a home tie with Whitehawk.

It was hard to see how the game would end after the Shrimps swept into a two goal lead with two goals in the opening seven minutes

Tom Barkhuizen went close on five minutes with a volley that was superbly saved by Liam O'Brien but they opened the scoring moments later.

From the resulting corner the ball found Alex Kenyon header whose looping header was travelling towards the goal before being cleared only for Barkhuizen to bundle home the loose ball from six yards out.

The Shrimps then added a second moments later with their next attack. Shaun Miller turned superbly on the edge of the box and drilled in a low shot that was parried by Liam O'Brien but Aaron Wildig raced in to slide home the rebound from close range.

Dagenham hit back and were level on 13 minutes from a penalty. Morecambe keeper Barry Roche brought down Kyle Vassell in the area and the on loan Peterborough man brushed himself down to slot home the spot kick.

The goal saw Dagenham take control and it came as no surprise when they equalised on 37 minutes when another on loan man James Dunne let fly with a superb volley from 30 yards out that took a wicked deflection and looped over Roche and into the top corner of the Morecambe goal.

From there Dagenham dominated and went 3-2 up on 50 minutes when Vassell scored his second of the game from close range from inside the six yard box after a goalmouth scramble.

With the wind behind them Dagenham looked to shoot at every opportunity with Joss Labadie twice forcing Roche into good saves from long range free kicks.

The Dagenham, midfielder's persistence paid off however on 70 minutes when he tried his luck again from distance and saw his final shot beat Roche low to his right and end up in the bottom right hand corner of the Morecambe goal.

Against the fierce wind the Shrimps looked to get back into the game but saw only one chance of any note when Kevin Ellison scooped the ball over the bar from close range after a Paul Mullin free kick caused panic in the Dagenham defence.

In the end there was no way back for Jim Bentley's side as they went out of the cup in the first round for the third successive season.

Morecambe: Roche, McGowan, Parrish, Edwards, Wilson, Devitt (rep Ellison57), Kenyon, Barkuizen, Wildig (rep Mullin 57), Fleming, Miller. Subs not used; Thompson, Kelleher, Molyneux, Goodall, Bailey.

Dagenham: O'Brien, Passley, Nosworthy, Dikamona, Widdowson, Labadie, Dunne, Hemmings, Vassell, Cureton. Subs not used: Cousins, McClure, Jones, Raymond, Mulraney, Pask, Ferdinand.

Ref: G Eltringham

Att: 1,176.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account