Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bournemouth Report

24 August 2016

Club News

Bournemouth Report

24 August 2016

Match Report: Morecambe 1-2 AFC Bournemouth

Morecambe were knocked out of the EFL Cup by Bournemouth in a tight 2-1 loss at the Globe Arena.

Max Gradel put the visitors ahead early on in the game but Cole Stockon equalised just a few minutes later for the Shrimps.

The sides were level for the majority of the game but Marc Wilson’s second-half goal saw the Premier League side through to the third round of the EFL Cup despite the best effort of the Shrimps who produced a magnificent performance.

It was an end-to-end start to the match with both goalkeepers busy in the opening exchanges.

The Shrimps had the first effort after four minutes when Andy Fleming found space to pass the ball to Stockton who shot just over the bar.

Just minutes later Tom Barkhuizen tested Adam Federici with a stinging shot that the goalkeeper palmed away for a corner.

However, Morecambe were punished in the seventh minute when Gradel scored with a low shot into the bottom corner.

Barry Roche was called into action when Junior Stanislas found space to shoot but the veteran goalkeeper easily saved his shot.

The Shrimps equalised just before the 15-minute mark through a throw-in by Barkhuizen that Ryan Edwards flicked on the Stockton who was in the box to finish the chance.

After a manic opening 15 minutes, the game calmed down.

Roche made a great double save in the 30th minute, firstly from Benik Afobe’s low shot and then from the rebound by Gradel.

At the other end, Fleming had a shot from outside the area that went just over the crossbar.

Gradel who looked dangerous throughout the game played a pass to Lewis Grabban in the area who turned and shot but was denied by a fantastic sliding block by Edwards.

Just before half-time Jack Dunn pulled the ball back to Fleming who shot just over the goal.

The Shrimps nearly scored with the last kick of the half when Barkhuizen’s shot from inside the area rattled the post.

Early in the second half Lee Molyneux had a shot blocked by a Bournemouth defender for a corner.

Wilson put the visitors back in front with an excellent long-range shot that went low into the bottom corner past Roche.

The goal didn’t deter Jim Bentley’s side who continued to attack the Cherries’ goal with Molyneux having an effort from outside the area.

At the other end Gradel turned in the box and shot but was blocked by a Morecambe defender.

The Shrimps nearly had an equaliser when Wilson’s backpass was mistimed and rolled towards the bottom corner of the goal but the ball was cleared at full stretch.

Morecambe came close again just a few moments later through Jack Dunn who lashed a long-range effort just wide of the goal.

The Shrimps pushed  for an equaliser with the introduction of attacking duo Kevin Ellison and Paul Mullin and they finished the game on top.

Ellison came close to scoring a late goal  in the 86th when he had the ball on the wing and tried to catch Federici out but the goalkeeper managed to palm his effort over the crossbar.

Mullin also came close shortly after with a diving header from the edge of the area but Federici was able to save it and ensure his side progressed to the third round of the EFL Cup.

The Shrimps won a free-kick in a wide area and the ball ended up rattling the crossbar after bouncing around in the area.

In injury time Edwards received the ball from Barkhuizen and had a curling effort clawed away by Federici at full stretch as the home side went down fighting.

Morecambe: Roche, Wakefield, Edwards, Conlan, Fleming, Rose (capt), Barkhuizen, Dunn (Mullin 80), Molyneux (Ellison 73), Stockton (Turner 80). Subs not used: Nizic, McGowan, Kenyon, Hedley. 

Bournemouth: Federici, Francis (capt), Ake, Wilson, Smith, Stanislas (Pugh 61), Cook, Gosling, Gradel (Hyndman 90), Grabban (Mousset 77), Afobe. Subs not used: Holmes, O'Kane, Buckley, Lee. 

Referee: Peter Bankes 

Attendance: 2,542 (293 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account