Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe vs Carlisle United

27 February 2016

Match Reports

Morecambe vs Carlisle United

27 February 2016

Match Report: Morecambe 1-2 Carlisle United

TWO late goals saw the Shrimps slip to a seventh defeat in eight games in a controversial game at the Globe Arena.

The Shrimps were in control with Kevin Ellison’s goal after 27 minutes seemingly putting them on their way to a much-needed win as they played some of their best football in recent weeks.

But it was to be another disappointing afternoon as a dubious penalty decision allowed the Cumbrians back into the game before a late goal rocked the home fans.

In front of a bumper crowd The Shrimps made a bright start, Alex Kenyon firing narrowly over from distance after just 36 seconds.

Jim Bentley will then wonder how his side didn’t go ahead in the fourth moment.

As Tom Barkhuizen’s long throw into the Carlisle box caused problems, Paul Muliin’s hooked effort came back off the bar with Ellison’s follow-up header hitting the post before the ball was scrambled clear.

In a full-blooded clash The Shrimps continued to have the chances, Barkhuizen stabbing a shot from 20 yards over the bar after a driving run.

Barry Roche was called into action for the first time 21 minutes in, beating away Alex Gilliead’s deflected low drive.

The Shrimps' stopper then pulled off an even better save four minutes later to keep out Jabo Ibehre’s header from Alex McQueen’s cross.

It was Morecambe who went in front however on 27 minutes.

Jamie Devitt drove at the Carlisle defence and played a perfectly weighted through ball for Ellison, who did the rest, beating the on-rushing Hanford one-on-one.

The Shrimps veteran nearly had a second on 34 minutes but dragged his shot wide from the edge of the area.

The end to the first period was a physical one with a series of heavy challenges going unpunished by referee Drysdale as an action-packed half threatened to boil over.

Mullin did curl one shot over the bar in five minutes of first-half stoppage time as a number of injuries prolonged the opening period.

The Shrimps should have doubled their advantage four minutes after the interval but Ellison elected to go for goal and was denied by Hanford when he should have squared for Mullin who would have had an open goal at his mercy.

Carlisle had improved on a disappointing first half showing though, Jason Kennedy heading narrowly wide before an unmarked McQueen came close with a volley from a corner.

Gilliead then saw a shot saved by Roche with Mark Ellis failing to make the most of a free header from the resultant corner on the hour mark.

It continued to be an end-to-end game though,with Aaron Wildig firing wide from 15 yards after a good Morecambe move.

Having seen leads evaporate late on in recent weeks it was to happen again seven minutes from time however.

Aaron McGowan and Wyke battled for a deep cross into the area with The Shrimps substitute harshly penalised for a foul by Drysdale to the fury of the Morecambe players.

Wyke stepped up and confidently sent Roche the wrong way from the penalty spot to level things up.

In a familiar tale of woe things went from bad to worse just a minute later.

Wyke broke into The Shrimps area and was denied by an on-rushing Roche but the ball broke to substitute Asamoah who fired home what turned out to be the winner as Morecambe’s misery went on.

Morecambe: Roche, Doyle, Edwards, Goodall, Beeley, Kenyon, Wildig, Barkhuizen, Devitt (Molyneux 79), Mullin (McGowan 79), Ellison. Subs not used: O’Hara, Bondswell, Bailey, Wilson.

Booked: Edwards, Kenyon

Carlisle: Hanford, McQueen (Asamoah 80), Raynes (capt), Ellis, Gillesphey, Gilliead, Kennedy, Comley (Joyce 46), Hope (Hery 80), Wyke, Ibehre. Subs not used: Bacon, Brough, Rigg, Thompson.

Booked: Raynes

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account