Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe vs Mansfield Town

26 January 2016

Match Reports

Morecambe vs Mansfield Town

26 January 2016

Match Report: Morecambe 1-2 Mansfield Town

MORECAMBE conceded two goals in the final five minutes to hand Mansfield victory at the Globe Arena.

The Shrimps looked set for a second successive home win after Paul Mullin's penalty on 71 minutes had put them in control but some shocking late defending proved costly.

First Chris Clements bundled home an equaliser five minutes from time after Barry Roche had saved Adi Yussuf's initial header.

Then as the game entered stoppage time the visitors made their way unchallenged into The Shrimps area with Lee Collins' poke goalwards being saved before Yussuf put the ball into the empty net to stun the Shrimps.

Chances were few and far between in the opening stages. Jamie McGuire saw a volley deflected over the bar for the visitors and Kevin Ellison's tame shot was grasped at the second attempt by Scott Shearer as both sides struggled to create chances..

The first real opening of note came on 27 minutes but after Andy Fleming's shot had rebounded into his path Krystian Pearce could only drag his shot narrowly wide from 18 yards. Mullin nearly created something out of nothing for The Shrimps 10 minutes before the interval, his turn and shot from 20 yards being beaten away by Shearer.

Adam Murray's side were the first to go close after the break with Matt Green only able to find the side netting after driving at the Morecambe defence.

Former Preston striker Chris Beardsley then found plenty of space in the area but took too long to find his feet with Shaun Beeley on hand to block.

Bentley made his move on the hour with a triple change and it nearly paid immediate dividends with Fleming bringing a save from Shearer after the ball had broken his way on the edge of the area.

The Shrimps were building momentum and got their breakthrough 20 minutes from time from the penalty spot.

Devitt whipped in a cross from the right with Stags skipper Nicky Hunt pulling back Ellison as he went to head the ball home. Mullin stepped up and made no mistake.

The hosts came close to a second on 75 minutes but Barkhuizen could only drag his shot wide when free in the area on his weaker left foot.

At the other end Mansfield pushed for an equaliser with the game still in the balance, Barry Roche holding onto Collins shot from a Clements corner 10 minutes from time.

The equaliser was to come on 85 minutes with Clements on target, the midfielder sliding in to score after Roche had got down well to his left to save Yussufs flicked header.

The sucker punch came in the 90th minute with Sean Kavanagh allowed a free run into the area before the ball found its way to Collins. His stabbed attempt was saved with Yussuf doing the rest as he converted into an unguarded net.

Morecambe: Roche, Edwards (Barkhuizen 59), Dugdale, Parrish, Beeley (capt), Kenyon (Goodall 59), Fleming, Wilson, Molyneux (Devitt 59), Mullin, Ellison. Subs not used: OHara, Miller, Doyle, Conlan.

Mansfield: Shearer, Hunt (capt), Pearce, Tafazolli, Collins, McGuire (Thomas 83), Clements, Blair (Kavanagh 83), Baxendale, Green, Beardsley (Yussuf 74). Subs not used: Jensen, Chapman, Westcarr, Lambe.

Attendance: 1,047 (77 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account