Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe 1 York 1

7 May 2016

Club News

Morecambe 1 York 1

7 May 2016

Match Report: Morecambe 1-1 York City

THE Shrimps ended the season with a draw against relegated York at the Globe Arena.

Luke Summerfield gave the visitors the lead on the stroke of half-time as they looked for just their second away win of the season.

But Jamie Devitt’s stunner six minutes after the restart ensured the Minstermen finished bottom of the Football League.

The Shrimps had a couple of scares early on, the first seeing Kenny McEvoy go down in the area under challenge from Lee Molyneux with referee Ross Joyce not interested in the York appeals.

Former Morecambe man Lewis Alessandra then saw a half chance come and go, poking the ball beyond Barry Roche and out of play when in on goal.

The Shrimps then had some decent chances of their own, Kevin Ellison dragging a shot wide from 20 yards just after the quarter hour before Shaun Miller could only flash a well-struck effort over when free in the area.

After Roche had kept out Summerfield’s free-kick on 24 minutes Morecambe’s best early chance came 60 seconds later however, Michael Ingham denying Aaron Wildig in one-on-one after The Shrimps man had capitalised on Dave Winfield’s error.

It was a forgettable half of football though, Alan Goodall heading over a corner after the ball had pinballed around the York area five minutes before the break.

Josh Carson should have given the hosts the lead shortly after but could only blaze over Alessandra’s pull back from 12 yards.

But after Ingham had kept out Wildig’s shot from 20 yards at the other end York did get their noses in front in first half stoppage time, Summerfield driving at the home defence before drilling a low shot beyond Roche.

The Shrimps were level six minutes into the second half though with a late contender for goal of the season from Devitt.

Picking up Ellison’s header 22 yards out the Irishman shifted the ball onto his right foot and hammered in a shot that went in off the underside of the crossbar

The hosts were nearly in front 60 seconds later with WIldig’s effort at full stretch kept out by Ingham at the end of a flowing move.

Openings were coming at both ends however with Alessandra drilling a shot narrowly wide after finding some room in the area.

Devitt nearly had a second spectacular goal on the hour with a dipping shot from 30 yards going inches over Ingham’s crossbar.

York then spurned two golden opportunities with Molyneux blocking Bradley Fewster’s close-range shot on the line and Carson heading the follow-up wide before McEvoy couldn’t convert Carson’s cross inside the six-yard area.

Cole Stockton came close for The Shrimps 12 minutes from time, making half a yard of space 20 yards out with his firm, right-foot shot going wide.

Paul Mullin could  have won the game for the hosts on 87 minutes but could only slice horribly wide when in on goal.

Mullin then did test Ingham with time almost up but the goalkeeper helped The Shrimps sub’s shot over the bar to ensure it ended honours even.

Morecambe: Roche, McGowan, Dugdale (capt) (Edwards 56), Doyle, Molyneux, Goodall (Stockton 71), Fleming, Devitt, Wildig, Ellison, Miller (Mullin 71). Subs not used: O’Hara, Bailey, Oliver.

Booked: Miller

York City: Ingham, Hendrie, Winfield (capt), Bennett, Cameron, McEvoy, Berrett, Summerfield, Carson, Fewster (Oliver 65), Alessandra. Subs not used: Flinders, Ilesanmi, Riordan, Swan, Dixon, Galbraith

Attendance: 1,620 (325 away)

Referee: Ross Joyce

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account