Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe vs Hartlepool United

8 April 2017

Match Reports

Morecambe vs Hartlepool United

8 April 2017

Morecambe 1-1 Hartlepool United

Paul Mullin scored a vital second half equaliser as the Shrimps picked up their first point in eight games with a draw against struggling Hartlepool at the Globe Arena.

The striker netted just before the hour to see the Shrimps get back into the game after former Morecambe player Padraig Amond put Hartlepool into the lead with a well taken goal on 39 minutes.

The Shrimps made five changes to the side that lost at Cheltenham last week. Barry Roche (wrist) and Alex Kenyon (suspended) were already unavailable but Dean Winnard, Lee Molyneux and Aaron Wildig were dropped to the bench. 

In came keeper Danijel Nizic for his first league start of the season along with Michael Duckworth, Andy Fleming, Rhys Turner and Antony Evans. 

Nizic was comfortably the busier of the two keepers in a depressingly one-sided opening half from the home perspective. 

Hartlepool were the more accomplished in possession and enjoyed much the greater attacking threat. Inside the opening 10 minutes, Nizic had to block Amond’s route to goal and saw Nicky Featherstone shoot well over. Nathan Thomas’ looping effort was comfortably held by Nizic, Scott Harrison volleyed narrowly wide before Amond came closest of all with a header into the side netting. 

Still the visitors pressed for an opener with Rhys Oates heading over from Thomas’ corner before seeing a first-time effort held by Nizic. 

Consequently, it came as little surprise when Amond broke the deadlock, finishing smartly from Lewis Alessandra’s pass.

The closest Morecambe came before the break was when Mullin created the opportunity for himself but a saw a shot kept out by keeper Joe Fryer.

The Shrimps came out with noticeably more tempo in the second half but could have fallen further behind on 56 minutes had Edwards not blocked Amond’s shot.

His efforts were rewarded three minutes later when Mullin got the Shrimps on level terms, netting from close range after Edwards’ shot was cleared off the line. 

Both sides pressed for a winner with opportunities coming at either end. 

Amond and Alessandra were off target within a minute of each other, while Kevin Ellison had one effort saved and sent another off target when stretching to meet Edwards’ flick. 

Bentley brought on Molyneux and Wildig with both going close. Molyneux had a shot straight at the keeper and Wildig’s goalbound volley struck a defender.

There was still time for Amond to send a free-kick into the wall and for Ellison to head wide at the other end but both teams had to settle for a point.

Morecambe: Nizic, Duckworth, Edwards, Whitmore, McGowan, Fleming, Rose, Turner (Wildig 66), Evans (Molyneux 66), Ellison, Mullin. Subs not used: Maher, Wakefield, Winnard, Murphy, Jordan. 

Hartlepool United: Fryer, Richardson, Walker, Harrison, Donnelly, Featherstone, Alessandra (Rodney 81), Woods, Thomas, Oates (Deverdics 90), Amond. Subs not used: Dudzinski, Magnay, Bates, Hawkins, Rooney. 

Referee: Andy Haines. 

Attendance: 1,548.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account