Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe vs Wycombe Wanderers

29 April 2017

Match Reports

Morecambe vs Wycombe Wanderers

29 April 2017

Morecambe 1-1 Wycombe Wanderers

MORECAMBE ended their Globe Arena season with a battling draw against Wycombe.

The Shrimps looked set to be heading for all three points after Kevin Ellison's superb 81st minute goal had given them the lead.

But they had to settle for the draw when Adebayo Akinfenwa bundled one home with a minute of normal time remaining.

Jim Bentley made four changes to the Shrimps' starting line up with Alex Whitmore, Lee Molyneux, Peter Murphy and Kevin Ellison all brought back into the side.

The game started as it meant to go on; a battling affair in the middle of the park with both teams looking to play on the front foot.

The first chance for the Chairboys arrived on 3 minutes when Adebayo Akinfenwa fired wide from 20-yards after Morecambe struggled with a looping ball into the danger area.

11 minutes gone and visiting keeper Jamal Blackman was forced to prove his worth with a magnificent save. The space opened up for Michael Rose who let fly from 25-yards for the Shrimps, but the keeper was there to spring across to his right to tip it wide.

The biggest chance of the half went to Akinfenwa on 23 minutes as Jacobson found the man they call the Beast at the back post with a well-drilled cross. The striker got up well and headed across goal, though it was just wide of the target.

Ten minutes later in the third of three consecutive corners for the Chairboys,  the ball was punched off the line by the keeper Danijel Nizic before Garry Thompson fired over.

The final chance of the half fell to Morecambe as Aaron McGowan surged forward from the back and shot. Blackman had to hold with Mullin lurking, but he did, ever so well.

Wycombe looked more threatening in the second period and former Shrimps' legend Garry  Thompson did superbly on the left-hand side just past the hour mark as he cut in and knocked it past Nizic before the keeper got the faintest of touches to help the ball scramble clear.

Two bits of clever defending from Harriman stopped the Shrimps getting the opener, before Saunders saw a goalbound free kick blocked on 75 minutes as Akinfenwa was fouled on the edge. Pierre then launched the ball back into the box and substitute Paris Cowan-Hall smacked the bar with a header.

Despite the Wycombe pressure Morecambe opened the scoring with just under ten minutes left as Kevin Ellison curled in a superb effort from 18-yards out to beat Jackman for his second goal in two games.

The Chairboys then threw the kitchen sink at the Shrimps. Akinfenwa turned and spinned in the box but saw his low drive saved behind by Nizic. 

The giant striker got his goal on the 89th minute though although he didn't know much about it as a Morecambe clearance it him and rebounded into the net.

The last chance of the game fell to the final sub, Myles Weston as he fired over on 95 minutes on the half volley.

Morecambe: Nizic, Edwards, Winnard, Whitmore, McGowan (rep Wakefield 84),  Rose, Kenyon, Molyneux, Murphy (rep Fleming 56), Ellison, Mullin (rep Yawson 77). Subs not used: Roche, Conlan, Wildig, Evans.

Wycombe: Blackman, Harriman, Jombati, Pierre, Jacobson (rep Stewart 68), Bean, O’Nien, Saunders, Thompson (rep Weston 82), Akinfenwa, Hayes (rep Cowan-Hall 62). Subs not used: Richardson, Bloomfield, Gape, Southwell.

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Attendance: 1,742

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account