Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 April 2018

Match Reports


10 April 2018

THE Shrimps saw a two goal lead slip as they picked up a vital point against bottom club Chesterfield.

The Shrimps led 2-0 at the break after goals from Garry Thompson and Callum Lang but saw the Spireites hit back with second half strikes from Kristian Dennis and Andy Kellett set up a tense finale.

Shrimps’ boss Jim Bentley had made three changes from the side beaten at Cheltenham Town last time out with Thompson, Lang and Aaron McGowan all being recalled and Sam Lavelle, Aaron Wildig and Gregg Wylde on the bench.

The Spireites started well and spurned a potential chance on the counter from a Morecambe corner as Dennis’ attempted pass was scrambled clear by the home defence. Former Morecambe loanee Alex Whitmore lashed a long-range effort off target before he played an unwitting role in Thompson’s 16th minute opener.

From from the resulting set-piece, a training ground routine ended with Michael Rose crossing for Thompson to convert from close range.

Kellett saw a cross-cum-shot cleared by the Morecambe defence as Lang doubled the lead 12 minutes before half-time, clinically beating keeper Aaron Ramsdale.

Louis Reed sent a 20-yard free-kick into the Morecambe wall for the visitors who created little despite the good possession play.

Jack Lester made two changes to his side at the break and those changes seen paid dividends when his side halved Morecambe’s lead as Dennis collected a pass and rifled the ball past Dan Nizic.

It set up a suitably nervy half with both sets of fans on edge with every misplaced pass and missed tackle. McGurk’s acrobatic effort went wide of the visitors’ goal but, with the Shrimps struggling to assert themselves, it was the visitors who scored next when the Morecambe defence failed to deal with a free-kick from deep and Kellett half-volleyed the Spireites level.

Both sides could have snatched a winner with time running out as Shrimps substitute Vadaine Oliver headed into the side netting and sent another effort wide.

Dodds did likewise at the other end but the best chance fell to another Morecambe replacement in Gregg Wylde who, having fashioned a sight of the Chesterfield goal, could only lash the ball over the bar with the goal at his mercy as the Shrimps had to settle for a point.

Morecambe: Nizic, McGowan, Winnard, Old, Conlan, Kenyon (Fleming 46), Rose, Thompson, Lang, Ellison (Oliver 82), McGurk (Wylde 65). Subs not used: Maher, Campbell, Wildig, Lavelle.

Chesterfield: Ramsdale, Barry (Smith 46), Whitmore, Maguire, Talbot, McCourt (Dodds 51), Weir (O’Grady 46), Brown, Reed, Kellett, Dennis. Subs not used: Anyon, Rowley, Nelson, Hines.

Referee: Martin Coy.

Attendance: 1,042.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account