Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


6 March 2018

Match Reports


6 March 2018

Jim Bentley named an unchanged side from the team that beat Wycombe Wanderers last time out in League 2 as Morecambe looked to put point on the board from one of their games in hand.

Both sides started brightly, with Aaron McGowan firing over for Morecambe and Scott Brown testing Barry Roche from 20 yards.

The 16th minute saw the first real opening of the game when Kayden Jackson was played through by Jordan Clark down the Shrimps’ left flank and saw his shot from a tight angle well saved by Barry Roche.

Morecambe pushed on in the following 10 minutes, with Gregg Wylde having two shots blocked and one hit over the bar from 16 yards.

The half looked to be drawing to a close with both sides happy to go into the break level, when Accrington broke down the left.

Kayden Jackson got goal side of Dean Winnard and a tangle of legs saw referee Eddie Ilderton award a spot kick.

Billy Kee fired home for his 10th converted penalty of the season sending Barry Roche the wrong way which saw Accrington lead 1-0 at the end of the first half.

Morecambe pushed for an equaliser in the second half but it was Accrington who created the first clear opening. Jordan Clark’s cutback gave Scott Brown a free shot from 17 yards which was excellently blocked by Dean Winnard.

Morecambe began to look more threatening after the hour mark. Andrew Fleming and Callum Lang were brought on in search for a goal and after Fleming latched onto a loose ball from a Michael Rose corner the Shrimps looked to have their best chance of the half. Fleming’s effort was well blocked though by a sprawling Jimmy Dunne.

The resulting corner gave Morecambe their best chance of the game on the 70 minute mark. Michael Rose’s delivery was glanced by Steven Old and ricoshade back off Kevin Ellison back into the path of Old, who headed over on the second attempt.

Morecambe committed more and more bodies forward late into the half in search of a point while Accrington threatened on the counter attack. Neither side could find a goal though and the game finished 1-0.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account