Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 November 2018

Match Reports


17 November 2018

SHRIMPS’ skipper Aaron Wildig scored his fist goal of the season to earn a battling victory at Forest Green.

Morecambe were on the back foot for long periods as they had to defend resolutely against a good Forest Green team but stayed in the game and produced the killer touch at the vital time to seal an excellent three points.

Boss Jim Bentley was forced to make one change from the side that drew with Halifax last Saturday as Rhys Oates pulled up in training on Friday and was replaced by Kevin Ellison.

The home side started well with Carl Winchester firing over from the edge of the area in the first minute.

Forest Green had the better of the first half and thought they took the lead on 35 minutes when Theo Archibald drove the ball across goal and Williams looked to have tapped it in but Steven Old recovered well to clear off the line. Morecambe did have one decent opportunity when Liam Mandeville fired in a shot but James Montgomery did well to beat it away.

The winger’s next opportunity came with 26 minutes on the clock as he drove down the touchline before shifting inside and opting to cross, but his ball looking for Reid at the back post was well charged down.

The Shrimps had their best spell towards the end of the half when Leitch-Smith and Liam Mandeville tested James Montgomery with shots from just inside the area but it was Halstead who produced the best save of the half when he tipped away a case range Williams header superbly.

Forest Green started the second half on the front foot again and the busy Archibald ran through on goal but dragged his effort wide of the far post.

Williams then had an opportunity to deliver a cross but despite a great ball to the far post, no one was there to finish.

With Forest Green still applying the pressure, Reuben Reid was able to work Halstead in goal but his effort on the hour mark was well saved.

Substitute Tahvon Campbell looked to make an impact for the home side and with 75 minutes on the clock he did well to break down the right but again nobody was on the end of his low cross.

That proved to be the story of the day for Forest Green and they were made to pay as the Shrimps took the points six minutes from time.

A cross from the left found Andrew Tutte and after his shot was blocked the ball fell for Wildig who turned sharply in the box before firing past Montgomery to seal the points in dramatic fashion

Forest Green: Montgomery, Winchester, Rawson, McGinley, Mills, Brown, James (rep Campbell 71), Williams, Archibald, Digby, Reid. Subs not used: Sanchez, Gunning, Pearce, Worthington, Morris.

Morecambe: Halstead, Mills, Old, Lavelle, Conlan, Wildig, Cranston, Mandeville, Leitch-Smith, Ellison (rep Kenyon 77), Oliver (rep Oswell 82). Subs not used: Szczepaniak, Yarney, Mendes-Gomes, Hedley.

Ref: B Toner

Att: 3,085

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account