Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 September 2018

Match Reports


4 September 2018

MORECAMBE produced a fine performance but suffered another narrow defeat as they lost 3-2 at Brunton Park in their opening EFL Trophy game.

The Shrimps, who made eight changes to the side that lost at Bury on Saturday, played some attractive football but went down to a home side who scored three superb strikes.

Morecambe took the lead in the sixth minute with a first goal of the season for Vadaine Oliver. After a smart break Kevin Ellison’s shot was blocked on the line by Gary Liddle but the ball rebounded into the air and Oliver used his height and strength to head home the loose ball from six yards out.

The lead only lasted seven minutes as the home side pulled one back with a stunning strike. Former Fleetwood man George Glendon took possession 25 yards out and after a sweet first touch volleyed sweetly past Mark Halstead from 25 yards out.

The Shrimps’ keeper was injured trying to make the save forcing Barry Roche to come off the bench and he was soon almost in action with Richie Bennett heading a Jamie Devitt cross over.

As the game swung from end to end the Shrimps took the lead for a second time with a fine move. James Sinclair played in Oliver behind Macauley Gillesphey and the striker produced the perfect cross for Joe Piggott to get in front of his marker and side the ball past Adam Collin with a first time finish.

Gillesphey was to make amends on 37 minutes however with another long range Carlisle goal as he beat Roche from 25 yards out with a sweet left foot strike that gave the Morecambe keeper no chance as it whistled into the left hand corner of the Shrimps’ goal.

The second half started in the same attacking mode as the first ended with chances at both ends.

The first fell to Carlisle with Roche producing a superb reflex save to deny Gillesphey a second from a close range header before the Shrimps’ keeper reacted smartly again to block Ashley Nadesan as he looked set to take advantage of Sam Lavelle losing the ball on the edge of his own area.

Morecambe continued to show their attacking intent and the home side were indebted to Gary Liddle for providing a vital late tackle to stop Fleming’s through ball reaching the unmarked Oliver in the box.

But it was Carlisle who scored the all important third when Jerry Yates cut on from the left hand side and drilled a low right foot shot past Roche from 12 yards out.

Morecambe still had chances to level again with Jason Oswell twice denied by fine Collin saves in the final moments of a pulsating game.

Carlisle: Collin, Miller, Liddle, Parkes, Gillesphey, Slater, Devitt, Glendon, Yates, Nadesan (rep McCarron 83), Bennett. Subs not used: O’Reilly, Gerrard, Etuhu, Adewusi, Egan

Morecambe: Halstead (rep Roche 19), Sinclair, Lavelle, Yarney, Cranston, Mendes-Gomes. Fleming, Jagne (rep Wildig 61), Ellison, Oliver (rep Oswell 69), Piggott. Subs not used: Mills, Old, Oates, Hedley.

Ref: A Haines.

Att: 1,213.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account