Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


21 December 2019

Match Reports


21 December 2019

A STUNNING goal from John O’Sullivan gave Derek Adams his first league win as Morecambe manager and took his side off the bottom of League 2.

O’Sullivan's second goal in three games was the result of a superb, flowing Morecambe move and sealed a remarkable comeback after a poor first half dispalyvsaw the Shrimps trail 1-0.

Adams made one change from the side beaten at Plymouth Argyle with Aaron Wildig coming in for the suspended Ritchie Sutton and Alex Kenyon dropping into the back four.

It was Newport who started the game on the front foot with Jamille Matt missing a great chance after just 22 seconds when he headed a cross from former Shrimps’ striker Padraig Amond wide when he should have scored.

Josh Sheehan then saw an effort blocked by Kenyon before the visitors took the lead on 14 minutes when Josh Labadie curled an effort against the underside of the bar and ver the line according to the assistant referee.

Matt had another opportunity just past the half-hour following a poor clearance from Carlos Mendes-Gomes, only for Mark Halstead to advance quickly and block his shot.

Morecambe were second best for much of the half with only headers from Tom Brewitt and Aaron Wildig to threaten the visitors.

The second half was a totally different affair however as Adams brought on Cole Stockton and Kevin Ellison in place of Alessandra and Wildig and the game changed dramatically as the Shrimps dominated from the first whistle.

Three minutes into the second half A-Jay Leitch-Smith headed straight at keeper Nik Townsend from close range before seeing another effort beaten out by the keeper two minutes later.

Townsend pushed Mendes-Gomes’ cross-cum-shot onto the top of the bar and then saved superbly from Leitch-Smith as the Shrimps forced the pressure.

Townsend was finally beaten midway through the second half when Leitch-Smith and Mendes-Gomes combined for Stockton to turn superbly in the area and fire home the leveller on 68 minutes.

The Shrimps’ pressure paid off 10 minutes from time when they scored a superb team goal.

Having won possession on the edge of their area, the Shrimps broke at pace and after neat interplay between Mendes-Gomes, Leitch-Smith and Ellison, O’Sullivan drilled the ball home with the outside of his right foot from the edge of the area.

It was a goal worthy of winning any game and gave the Shrimps and their fans an early Christmas boost.

Morecambe: Halstead, Tanner, Kenyon, Old, Conlan, Brewitt, O’Sullivan, Mendes-Gomes (rep Cranston 90), Alessandra (rep Stockton 46), Wildig (rep Ellison 46), Leitch-Smith. Subs not used: Da Silva Mendes, Buxton, Brownsword, Miller.

Newport County AFC: Townsend, McNamara, O’Brien (rep Inniss 70), Demetriou, Haynes, Sheehan, Maloney (rep Bennett 66), Labadie, Nurse (rep Abrahams 71), Amond, Matt. Subs not used: King, Dolan, Collins, Poleon.

Referee: Paul Marsden.

Attendance: 2,161.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account