Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MORECAMBE 2-2 WOLVES U21S (Wolves win 5-4 on penalties)

1 October 2019

MORECAMBE’S hopes of a first victory in this year’s Trophy were dashed by a penalty shoot out defeat at the Globe Arena.

After drawing the game 2-2 in normal time the Shrimps looked set to win the extra bonus point via a penalty shoot out but misses from Michael Howard and Carlos Mendes-Gomes handed Wolves the win.

The penalty shoot out started well for the Shrimps with Cranston, Old, Buxton and O’Sullivan all scoring before Howard and Carlos Mendes-Gomes missed their efforts.

Shrimps’ boss Jim Bentley made eight changes to the starting line up with only Sam Lavelle, Steven Old and George Tanner remaining from Saturday’s draw with Northampton.

Once again Morecambe started brightly but it was Wolves who opened the scoring in the 23rd minute. Tom Brewitt conceded a free kick on the edge of his own area and Elliot Watt curled a delightful right footed effort into the top left hand corner of Mark Halstead’s goal.

Brewitt was soon back in the thick of the action at the other end of the park as the Shrimps drew level within a minute.
Jordan Cranston’s shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Andreas Sondegaard low to his left but Brewitt followed up smartly to slot the ball into the empty net.

Austin Samuels missed a golden to give Wolves the lead for the second time moments later when he somehow failed to convert a right wing cross from close range.

Samuels made no mistake just before the half hour when he outpaced Steven Old down the right hand side before slipping the ball under Halstead.

Watt forced the Morecambe keeper into a flying save on 40 minutes as the youngsters ended the half on top.

The Shrimps dominated the opening periods of the second half and were unlucky not to pull a goal back just before the hour when Cole Stockton tied his luck from 25 yards with a stunning drive that beat the keeper but came back off the underside of the crossbar.

The pressure continued with Aaron Wildig forcing a good save from the Wolves keeper and Rhys Oates volleying over after a nice move before the latter had a goal ruled out for offside when he headed home Kevin Ellison’s lay off from close range.

Jim Bentley’s side were rewarded for their efforts nine minutes from time when they scored a deserved leveller.

A cross from the left was volleyed against the crossbar by George Tanner but the ball fell nicely for young substitute Michael Howard to score his first goal for the club from close range to take the game to penalties.

Morecambe: Halstead, Tanner, Lavelle, Old, Buxton, Brewitt (rep Howard 74), Wildig, Cranston, Oates (rep O’Sullivan 78), Ellison, Stockton (rep Mendes-Gomes 86). Subs not used: Roche, Jagne, Lynch, Brownsword.

Wolves: Sondergaard, Thompson, Richards, Marques, Buur (rep Otasowie 78), Sanderson, Perry, Watt, Taylor (rep Dai 90), Ashley-Seal, Samuels. Subs not used: Pardington, Wan, Hanne, Nye, Cristovao.

Ref; R Joyce.

Att: 514

Advertisement block