Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


3 September 2019

Match Reports


3 September 2019

MORECAMBE’S Trophy campaign got off to a poor start with a heavy defeat at Bloomfield Road.

The Shrimps produced some good football but their recent defensive problems continued as they slipped five goals to make it 15 goals conceded in the last four games.

As expected boss Jim Bentley made a number of changes, seven in Allas he looked to give members the first team squad some valuable game time.

His plans were hampered by A-Jay Leitch-Smith pulling out of the game just prior to kick off as a slight twinge in the warm up meant he missed the chance to make his first start of the season.

It was certainly an eventful game with chances coming thick and fast.

The Seasiders took the lead with just four minutes on the clock. Ben Heneghan, making his first start since returning to Bloomfield Road, made a well-timed run to nod in Liam Feeney’s corner from eight-yards out.

Morecambe almost equalised soon after, as Jordan Cranston rattled the inside of the post with a free-kick from distance.

It proved to be a warning side, with a leveller coming in the 22nd minute.

Kevin Ellison shook off the attention of Michael Nottingham and found the net via a deflection off Heneghan.

The visitors continued to look threatening on the counter and fired a couple of efforts wayward and off target.

At the other end, Ryan Hardie opened up from 25-yards and forced a fine save out of ex-Pool stopper Mark Halstead.

Blackpool were unfortunate not to go back ahead when Michael Nottingham hit the underside of the bar with a cross, and then when Callum Guy somehow saw his powerful drive hit both posts and bounce out.

The Seasiders did re-take the lead before the interval though, with Liam Feeney’s delivery finding its way to Nottingham at the near post.

Ollie Turton replaced Liam Feeney for the second 45 minutes and immediately had an impact, slipping in Ryan Hardie to score his first goal for the club.

With Blackpool now 3-1 up, it took a super save from Chris Mafoumbi to prevent Cole Stockton from quickly reducing the deficit prior to the hour mark.

Nathan Shaw became the Seasiders’ second change of the night and made a decisive contribution to clear after a collision between Mafoumbi and Nottingham presented Morecambe with an opportunity.

Shaw then aimed to turn provider when clipping the ball into the box, only to see Ryan Hardie nod agonisingly wide.

Pool’s third and final change saw Sullay Kaikai come on and he caused the Shrimps all sorts of problems. First he teed up Nuttall for a shot that was saved by Halstead, before seeing an effort saved himself.

Kaikai then tried his luck from a free-kick but struck the side-netting but as the clock ticked towards the 90th minute, Kaikai finally got his goal. Nathan Shaw cut inside onto his left foot and saw his shot saved by Halstead, leaving Kaikai to pounce and make it 4-1.

The scoring didn’t end there though, as Joe Nuttall beat Halstead from 30 yards with a shot that went through the keeper’s hands to give the home side a convincing win in a game that was far closer than the scoreline suggested.

Blackpool: Mafoumbi, Nottingham Heneghan, Anderton, Feeney, Virtue (rep Shaw 65), Scannell (rep Kaikai 77), Feeney (rep Turton 45), Guy, Macdonald, Hardie, Nuttall. Subs not used: Alnwick, Spearing, Tilt, Gnanduillet.

Morecambe: Halstead, Tanner, Sutton, Lavelle, Conlan (rep Buxton 62), O’Sullivan (rep Mendes-Gomes 75), Oates, Wildig (rep Lynch 66), Ellison, Cranston, Stockton. Subs not used: Roche, Tutte, Howard, Brownsword.

Ref: M Edwards.

Att: 2,219

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account