Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 February 2020

Match Reports


29 February 2020

AARON Wildig’s third goal in four games helped Morecambe to a good point against promotion chasing Crewe.

Wildig scored in the 68th minute to level the scores after Perry Ng’s 47th-minute opener to earn a draw which took the Shrimps 10 points clear of bottom club Stevenage though they will miss Adam Phillips for the next three games after he was sent off in injury time for a late tackle on Ng as Crewe threatened to break.

Shrimps’ boss Derek Adams made one change from the side that drew with Carlisle with A-Jay Leitch-Smith coming in for the injured Cole Stockton and the Shrimps played their part in an excellent game.

Crewe could have scored in the opening two minutes when Charlie Kirk was free on goal but dragged his effort off target when he should have scored. Six minutes later it was the Shrimps who went close when Wildig fired over from close range after being found by Leitch-Smith.

Crewe hit back again with Steven Old producing a superb block to deny Chris Porter who also hit the post from close range after a good left-wing cross.

Oliver Finney then sent a shot across the face of goal before Christoffer Mafoumbi tipped over Kirk’s attempt with half-time looming.

Morecambe looked threatening themselves with Wildig’s header from Phillips’s cross forcing an excellent save from Will Jaaskelainen.

The keeper again saved well from Wildig who got in a shot on goal at full stretch and did well again to palm away Jordan Slew’s close-range shot.

After a good first half ended goalless Crewe struck just two minutes after the break.

An inswinging James Jones corner flashed across the goal and dropped for Ng to slam the ball home from close range with Morecambe convinced Sam Lavelle had been fouled.

The Shrimps recovered quickly and forced their way back into the game.

Jordan Cranston shot over from 25 yards before Carlos Mendes-Gomes came close with a shot that hit the underside of the bar.

Ng lashed a shot wildly off target from a good opening before the Shrimps pulled level midway through the half.

Jaaskelainen failed to deal with a Ryan Cooney cross from the right-hand side and Wildig was on hand to provide a neat finish.

The goal sparked a response from the visitors, who should have retaken the lead twice in quick succession.

Stephen Walker should have scored but his a post and then fired wide from another good opening.

Five minutes of added time saw Cooney fire wide from the edge of the area but the real drama came late on when the visitors broke from a Morecambe corner.

Phillips cynically took out Ng and was red-carded with Crewe boss and former Shrimps’ favourite David Artell picking up a yellow for his protests.

Morecambe: Mafoumbi, Cooney, Old, Lavelle, Cranston, Wildig (rep Brewitt 85), Diagouraga, Phillips, Mendes-Gomes, Leitch-Smith (rep Bradbury 76), Slew (rep O’Sullivan 62). Subs not used: Halstead, Kenyon, Mbulu.

Crewe Alexandra: Jaaskelainen, Ng, Nottingham, Offord, Pickering, Jones, Wintle, Finney (rep Green 76), Walker, Porter (rep Anene 73), Kirk (rep Powell 82). Subs not used: Richards, Ainley, Hunt, Dale.

Referee: Graham Salisbury.

Attendance: 2,872.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account