Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Burnley 2-1 Morecambe

20 July 2021

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Burnley 2-1 Morecambe

20 July 2021

Stephen Robinson’s men fall narrowly short against Premier League Burnley at Barnfield Training Centre.

A goal either side of the break proved decisive for the Clarets, although the Shrimps did well to stand up to established Premier League opposition whose starting XI boasted several first teamers.

The visitors started quickly and managed to force a corner after just 15 seconds of play, however the first real chance of note fell to the way of the Clarets who broke free on eight minutes, only to be denied by an onrushing Jökull Andrésson in the Shrimps’ goal.

Four minutes later and the East Lancashire side were ahead courtesy of Ashley Barnes who capitalised on a rare Andrésson mistake to slot home into an empty net.

Morecambe’s first big chance came on 15 minutes when Shane McLoughlin played a delightful ball to Josh McPake who turned and fired an effort at goal, only to be denied by Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

Looking to make up for his earlier mistake, Andrésson pulled off an incredible save at full stretch low to his left to deny youngster Bobby Thomas who did well to meet an Ashley Westwood cross on 18 minutes.

The Shrimps looked to gain a foothold in proceedings on 29 minutes when striker Cole Stockton picked up possession just outside the box, cut inside and set himself but could only send his strike over the bar.

Nine minutes into the second half and the Clarets scored their second, this time courtesy of Icelandic international Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson who picked up possession down the right, beat a couple of Shrimps men before curling an effort into the bottom left corner.

After riding some Burnley pressure, Robinson’s men looked to respond, this time through Wes McDonald who, on 68 minutes, found himself in possession just outside the opposing D before firing a shot which looked to be goal-bound, only to see his effort deflect on a defender away to safety.

The Shrimps were able to grab a goal back on 84 minutes when Anthony O’Connor sent a long ball forward which McPake read impecibaly and took the slightest of touches to take the ball beyond the reach of Peacock-Farrell before slotting home.

Morecambe continued to knock on the door, but it was the Premier League club that managed to hold on to the win at a very sunny Barnfield Training Centre.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account