Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Workington AFC v Morecambe

14 July 2021

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Workington AFC v Morecambe

14 July 2021

The Shrimps kickstarted their pre-season campaign with an impressive, goal-fuelled victory away at Workington AFC.

Two goals in the first half and three in the second proved enough to overcome a spirited Workington side at a sunny Borough Park.

In what was his first game as Morecambe boss, Stephen Robinson fielded two different line-ups for each half, emphasising the strength in depth at the manager’s disposal ahead of the new season.

The Shrimps came out of the blocks quickly and after only three minutes, summer signing Arthur Gnahoua found the ball down the right flank before picking out Cole Stockton in the middle, whose effort was fired narrowly wide.

Workington’s first chance of note fell on 13 minutes when Iyrwah Gooden picked up possession halfway into the attacking half and looked to lob goalkeeper Jökull Andrésson from range, however his effort took a deflection and bounced back off the post and away to safety.

Another chance for the hosts came three minutes later as Brad Carroll looked to fire an effort goalward, however left-back Liam Gibson blocked the shot from close range.

A build-up of Shrimps pressure paid off on 34 minutes when Stockton picked up possession just inside the box before calmly slotting the ball into the bottom right corner.

Nine minutes later and the visitors lead was doubled when Leeds United loanee Alfie McCalmont did well to dispossess his opponent and drive forward to unleash a powerful strike from distance which nestled neatly into the far corner.

The hosts looked for a way back into the game moments before the break when Trialist broke through on goal, only to see his tame effort held comfortably by Andrésson low to his right.

A much-changed Morecambe side reappeared for the second half and it only took two minutes for the team to show their attacking intent.

Freddie Price powered forward down the left wing before sending a dangerous ball into the mix which was met well by Jon Obika, but his header crashed against the post.

Five minutes later and the hosts had a goal back after a penalty was awarded, Scott Allison made no mistake from the spot, sending Kyle Letheren the wrong way.

The Shrimps looked to respond well and very quickly extended their advantage by two only minutes later.

Trialist did well to meet a corner with a glancing header, giving the home goalkeeper no chance before Wes McDonald bamboozled the Workington defence, twisting and turning away from danger and fired the ball home.

11 minutes later and the visitors wrapped up the evening’s scoring, this time courtesy of Obika who did well to meet a cross in the box with an impressive leap, sending a looping header over Jim Atkinson in the Workington goal.

Robinson’s men came close to a sixth on 84 minutes when Price found himself unmarked down the left and tried to find the corner from the angle, but the home goalkeeper made himself big and did well to block the shot.

FIRST HALF STARTING XI: Andrésson, Mellor, O’Connor, Delaney, Gibson, Wildig, Jones, McCalmont, Gnahoua, Stockton, McPake

SECOND HALF STARTING XI: Lethereh, Pye, Lavelle, Mensah, Leigh, Diagouraga, McLoughlin, Price, McDonald, Obika, Trialist

Referee: Anthony Backhouse

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account