Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Shrimps 0-2 Cambridge United

2 November 2021

Morecambe 0- 2 Cambridge United 
Sky Bet League One
The Mazuma Stadium 
Tuesday 2 November 2021
Kick-Off: 7:45pm 
Attendance: 3,414 (133 Cambridge United supporters)
The Shrimps slipped to a 2-0 defeat after goals either side of half-time ensured Cambridge United claimed all three points under the lights at the Mazuma Stadium.
Ben Worman opened the scoring in the 28th minute with a stunning volley before Joe Ironside converted from the penalty spot in the second-half. 
Morecambe started brightly and carved out the first real chance of the game in the 7th minute, Wes McDonald took aim from the edge of the penalty area and forced U’s ‘keeper Dimitar Mitov to push the ball past the near post for a corner.
The Shrimps were let off in the 23rd minute when Cambridge skipper Paul Digby’s cross towards the back post found Ironside who rose highest, however the striker failed to guide his header on target.
Minutes later, Jokull Andresson struggled to keep his hands on Jensen Weir’s strike and spilled the ball forcing the Morecambe backline to clear. 
The away side went ahead just before the half-hour mark through Worman who produced a magnificent volley, the 20-year-old brought the ball down with his chest and volleyed into the top left corner. 
Mark Bonner’s men looked to double their advantage less then ten minutes later when Digby threaded through to put Ironside one-on-one, however the Shrimps’ stopper did well to deny the striker with his outstretched leg. 
Just before the break, Ironside saw his curling strike from close range deflect behind for a corner. 
Half-Time: Morecambe 0-1 Cambridge United
Less than ten minutes into the second half, Ironside met Digby’s deep cross from the right, however his effort on target was claimed comfortably by Andresson.
The Shrimps looked to create an opportunity when Leigh raced down the left and sliced a low ball across goal, however it was blocked well by the visitors. 
Morecambe were then nearly caught out after a miscommunication on the right, Jubril Okedina lashed an effort against the near post, though the Shrimps managed to clear their lines before the ball fell to an amber shirt. 
Stephen Robinson made a double change on the hour-mark as the Shrimps searched for a leveller. 
Just over ten minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead from the penalty spot.
Scott Wooton was adjudged to have brought down Okedina inside the penalty area and referee Bobby Madley didn’t hesitate to point to the spot and U’s top scorer Ironside stepped up to convert with a fine strike into the far corner. 
Substitute Shayon Harrison bundled his way into the box and looked to find the feet of Cole Stockton in the 83rd minute, however the visitors defended well and managed to get the ball clear. 
Cambridge substitute Sam Smith looked to put the game to bed in the final minutes when his low ball rolled across the face of goal and nearly snuck into the far corner.
Full-time: Morecambe 0 - 2 Cambridge United 
The Shrimps are back in action at the Mazuma Stadium on Saturday when we host Newport County in the FA Cup First Round. 
Morecambe: Andresson, McLaughlin, Leigh, O’Connor (C), Jones (Phillips 61’), McDonald (Price 61’), Diagouraga (Harrison 75’), Stockton, Ayunga, McCalmont, Wootton
Subs not used: Letheren, Delaney, Cooney, Gibson
Goals: None.
Bookings: McDonald, Stockton, Ayunga, Price
Red cards: None.
Cambridge United: Mitrov, Iredale, Digby, Brophy (Smith 74’), Ironside, Dunk, Okedine, Weir, Masterson, Knibbs (Tracey 69’), Worman
Subs not used: McKenzie-Lyle, Smith, Davies, Simper, Lankester, Bennett
Goals: Worman 28’, Ironside (pen) 71’
Bookings: Smith
Red cards: None.

Advertisement block