Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Rugby Town 2-0 Morecambe

17 November 2021

The Shrimps bow out of the FA Youth Cup following defeat at the hands of Rugby Town at Butlin Road.

Goals either side of the half-time break courtesy of Kasey Smith and Mason Platts proved the difference in front of a busy crowd that included First Team Assistant Manager John McMahon.

The first chance of the game fell to the hosts when Platts, from the angle, skied an effort after four minutes of play.

Morecambe’s first real chance of note came on 28 minutes when Adam Mayor found himself in time and space on the ball before whipping a dangerous ball into the mix, finding the head of Callum Sandle, but the forward’s effort sailed harmlessly wide.

The visitors looked to increase pressure on the opposition and on 33 minutes, Nathan Mercer managed to drive forward on the ball before unleashing a fierce effort from distance, but it didn’t test Max Harbin in the Rugby goal.

Connor Pye created a golden chance for the Shrimps five minutes later when his hard and low cross found space in the back post, but there was no red shirt in position to poke the ball home.

Six minutes from the break and, against the run of play, the home side found themselves in front following a spell of pressure that resulted in the ball falling to the feet of Smith 12 yards out, and the Rugby man calmly side footed his team in front.

Darren Finch’s men came close to equalising just before the break, but Sandle’s headed effort looped onto the roof of the net.

Half-Time: Rugby 1-0 Morecambe

It was the hosts who came out of the blocks quicker in the second-half, and they were nearly rewarded on 59 minutes after Leo Stone turned into space and fired an effort on goal, but Joe Lawton smothered the danger.

In an effort to capitalise on their positive start, Platts looked certain to score three minutes later, but an excellent last second tackle from Leyton Carter prevented the Town man from finding the net.

On 66 minutes, Stone did find the back of the net, but the linesman had his flag up for an offside move in the build-up play.

The home side didn’t have to wait too long to double their advantage however, and it was that man Platts who picked up possession with his back to goal, turned his defender and rolled the ball into the far corner.

Five minutes from time and in an attempt to put the game to bed, Platts latched onto a clever dink into the box, but the angle proved too tight and his shot ended up in the back of the stand rather than the goal.

Full-Time: Rugby 2-0 Morecambe

Rugby: Harbin, Cooper, Taylor, Nicholson, Odwyer (Osayande, 55), Coles, Smith, Bodicote (Wade, 83’), Platts, Stone, Scott (Fahey, 72’)

Subs: Harvey, Blair, Pangiotidis, Power

Goals: Smith 39’, Platts 71’

Bookings: Coles, Platts, Kasey Smith

Red Cards: None

Morecambe: Lawton, Cooper, Pye, Connolly (Koleni, 65’) Carter, Lancaster, Rooney, Mercer, Nicholson, Sandle (McKean, 66’), Mayor

Subs: Pedley, Wright, Foden

Goals: None

Bookings: None

Red Cards: None

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account