Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Shrimps 1-1 Plymouth Argyle

23 October 2021

Morecambe 1-1 Plymouth Argyle 
Sky Bet League One 
The Mazuma Stadium
Saturday 23 October 2021
Kick-Off: 3pm
Attendance: 4272 (658 Plymouth Argyle fans)
The Shrimps earned a point against high-flyers Plymouth Argyle in an entertaining 1-1 draw at the Mazuma Stadium. 
Jonah Ayunga put the Shrimps ahead inside the opening six minutes however Ryan Lowe’s men levelled six minutes later through Danny Mayor. Morecambe pushed on in the second-half, but failed to find a breakthrough and the points were shared. 
The first real chance of the first-half resulted in a goal through Ayunga, who drilled into the far corner past Michael Cooper after Ryan Cooney saw his effort blocked. 
The winger looked to extend his side’s lead a few minutes later when he tested the Pilgrims’ ‘keeper from just inside the area.
The league-leaders hit back in the 12th minute after a goalmouth scramble. The ball was squared to Ryan Hardie whose strike was cleared off the line before it fell to Mayor who slotted home. 
The visitors nearly went ahead a few minutes later when the Shrimps back-line were forced to clear another ball off the goal-line. Goalscorer Mayor beat his man and squared the ball to Luke Jephcott who saw his close-range effort cleared off the line. 
Jephcott had another chance to put his side ahead but the striker fired over the upward. 
Shrimps’ goalkeeper Jokull Andresson produced an impressive double-save just before the half-hour mark to prevent Morecambe from going behind. The stopper palmed Mayor’s strike to his left before keeping out Panutche Camara’s close-range shot, who was in the end flagged offside. 
The Pilgrims enjoyed more success down the left-hand side in the 42nd minute as Grant cut inside and had his effort cleared by Stephen Robinson’s men. 
Half-Time: Morecambe 1-1 Plymouth Argyle
The Shrimps were presented with an excellent chance to take the lead seven minutes into the second-half, when Ayunga’s excellent cross from the right found the feet of Cole Stockton, who lifted his shot just above the crossbar. 
Cooney unleashed an ambitious effort just before the hour mark which sailed over the bar.
Toumani Diagouraga battled his way through the midfield to feed Ayunga who would have been through on goal, however the ball was overhit and rolled into the palms of Cooper.
In the 84th minute a Shrimps free-kick headed on by Stockton which didn’t quite fall to Ryan Delaney was collected by the goalkeeper, but it wasn’t to matter because the linesman had his flag up for offside. 
There was a late scare for Morecambe deep into added time when Conor Grant’s deep corner found Dan Scarr who headed the ball down towards Jordan Houghton, however the Pilgrims man fired wide.
Full-time: Morecambe 1-1 Plymouth Argyle
Morecambe: Andresson, Leigh, O’Connor (C), Jones, Diagouraga, Stockton, Delaney, Ayunga (McDonald 82’), Phillips (Price 90+3), Cooney, Gnahoua
Subs not used: Letheren, McLaughlin, Mensah, Gibson, Harrison
Goals: Ayunga 6’
Bookings: Jones 65’
Red Cards: None
Plymouth Argyle: Cooper, Houghton, Wilson, Scarr, Edwards (C), Hardie (Garrick 73’), Mayor, Grant, Galloway, Camara (Broom 63’), Jephcott (Agard 73’)
Subs not used: Burton, Gillesphey, Randell, Law 
Goals: Mayor 12’
Bookings: Houghton Galloway
Red Cards: None

Advertisement block