Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Charlton Athletic 2-3 Shrimps

15 April 2022

Charlton Athletic 2-3 Morecambe
Sky Bet League One 
The Valley
Friday 15 April 2022
Kick-Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 10,700 (350 Shrimps) 

Two goals from Arthur Gnahoua stole the show as the Shrimps survived a late scare at The Valley to secure a vital win, as Derek Adams’ side look to steer clear of the relegation zone. 

Cole Stockton netted his 23rd Sky Bet League One goal of the season before Gnahoua fired home to give the away side the lead at the break. 

A goal from Jayden Stockley gave the home side a glimmer of hope after the break before Ganhoua rattled home his second just before the hour mark. 

There was enough time for Chucks Aneke to nod home nine minutes from time, but the away side kept their nerve to head back to the north-west with maximum points. 

The first chance of the game fell to the hosts as they controlled the opening exchanges of this Good Friday fixture, a ball into the box was half-cleared by Greg Leigh which saw the ball drop to Jayden Stockley but a fantastic block from Rhys Bennett kept the scores level. 

On the 17th minute, the Shrimps had a great chance to take the lead. A through ball from Arthur Gnahoua found Stockton on the run, he does well to turn Jason Pearce inside out before taking a shot on goal, which was well saved by Craig MacGillivray in the Addicks goal. 

It was Stockton again who was causing the home side trouble, he broke free in the box once again but there was MacGillivray to deny him once more. 

He would not be denied a third time though, a superb pull-back by Leigh found Stockton positioned around the penalty spot, he took it first time beating MacGillivray, with the ball clipping the inside the of a post on its way in. 

Three minutes short of the break, the Shrimps doubled their lead. A ball into the box by Bennett was knocked down by Aaron Wildig into the path of Gnahoua, who took one touch to set himself before rolling his effort into the bottom-left corner of the home side’s goal. 

Goalkeeper Trevor Carson was called upon once again on the stroke of half-time, a corner from the far side was headed goalwards by Stockley, a strong right-hand by Carson kept his effort out before the striker followed his saved effort up by firing the rebound wide. 

Half-time: Charlton Athletic 0-2 Morecambe

Eight minutes after the start of the second-half, the home side pulled one back. A ball into the box by Corey Blackett-Taylor found Mason Burstow at the far post, his knockdown found Stockley who had the easy job of firing the ball into the roof of the net. 

Just before the hour mark, the Shrimps regained their two-goal advantage. 

A poor kick out from goalkeeper MacGillivray was picked up by Gnahoua and the winger set off on goal, he made his way into the box before unleashing a thunderbolt which cannoned off the underside of the crossbar before hitting the back of the net. 

With nine minutes of the game, the home side pulled another goal back through substitute Aneke, a ball from the left by Blackett-Taylor found the head of Aneke, who sent his header across Carson and in to the back of the net. 

There was one final chance for the home side which fell in the direction of George Dobson, he threw in a dummy to evade Bennett, thankfully his shot was lacking and his attempt ended up in the support behind the goal. 

Full-time: Charlton Athletic 2-3 Morecambe

Charlton Athletic: MacGillivray, Dobson, Famewo, Pearce (C), Stockley, Morgan (Forster-Caskey 69’), Gilbey (Washington 61’), Matthews, Blackett-Taylor, Clare, Burstow (Aneke 75’). 

Subs not used: Harness, Purrington, Jaiyesimi, Leko. 

Goals: Stockley 53’, Aneke 82’.

Bookings: Pearce 75’

Red cards: None.

Morecambe: Carson, Leigh, Bedeau, Stockton, Wildig (C) (McLoughlin 87’), Connolly (O’Connor 87’), Phillips, Gibson (Cooney 76’) Gnahoua, Fane, Bennett. 

Subs not used: Smith Diagouraga, Ayunga, McCalmont. 

Goals: Stockton 26’, Gnahoua 42’, 59’.

Bookings: None.

Red cards: None.

Advertisement block