Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Shrimps 0-0 Stoke City (Morecambe win 5-3 on pens)

9 August 2022

Match Reports

Report: Shrimps 0-0 Stoke City (Morecambe win 5-3 on pens)

9 August 2022

The Shrimps progressed to Round Two of the 2022/23 Carabao Cup after a thrilling 5-3 penalty shootout win over Stoke City at the Mazuma Stadium.

Derek Adams’ men were reduced to 10-men in the second-half after Jensen Weir was given his marching orders after receiving two yellow cards in the space of a minute. 

The first chance of the game went the way of the visitors as a corner from Lewis Baker was met on the head by Morgan Fox, but the defender could not direct his header on target. 

After that, Derek Adams’ side sprung into life, firstly a chance for midfielder Jensen Weir who fired wide from the edge of the box, before a chance for Ash Hunter from the same area ended up in the same outcome. 

It was Hunter again who proved to a thorn in the side of the visitors, he managed to win the ball inside of Stoke’s penalty area, caught between crossing and shooting, he chose the latter forcing Jack Bonham into a save at his near post. 

Half-time: Morecambe 0-0 Stoke City

The Potters started the second-half brightly and came close to taking the lead two minutes after the restart, a through ball Baker found Tyrese Campbell on the run, he managed to get a shot away which forced Connor Ripley to save with his feet.

Just after the hour mark the Shrimps were reduced to 10-men after midfielder Weir was shown multiple yellow cards for back-to-back challenges on forward Jacob Brown, in the space of a minute. 

On the 77th minute, the visitors thought they had the lead. A ball through found Dwight Gayle alone in the six-yard box, his side-footed effort found a way past Ripley but celebrations were cut short as the assistant referee had her flag up on for offside the near side. 

With six minutes of the half remaining, Michael O’Neill’s side came close again, another cross from the left this time from Sam Clucas was met on head by Harry Clarke, again, forcing Ripley into another save. 

On the 88th minute the away side were in again, this time the ball fell to Jordan Thompson with his effort cannoning off the bottom of a post and away from danger. 

In the first minute of additional time, Caleb Watts off from the bench decided to take aim from outside the box, his rasping effort went narrowly over Bonham’s crossbar. 

Full-time: Morecambe 0-0 Stoke City (Morecambe win 5-3 on penalties)



Scored: Connolly, Obika, Watts, Love, McLoughlin.

Missed: None.


Scored: Smallbone, Clucas, Thompson. 

Missed: Fox. 

Morecambe: Ripley, Love (C), Melbourne, Gibson (McLoughlin 78’), Rawson, Delaney, Taylor (Connolly 85’), Fane, Stockton (Obika 85’), Hunter (Watts 78’), Weir. 

Subs not used: Smith, Connolly, Gnahoua, Cooney, O’Connor, McDonald. 

Goals: None.

Bookings: Gibson 73’, Fane 83’. 

Red cards: Weir 63’.

Stoke City:
Bonham, Fox, Jagielka, Clucas, Baker (Wright-Phillips 66’), Brown (Smallbone 66’), Campbell (Gayle 66’), Thompson, Kilkenny (Clarke 77’), Taylor, Sparrow (Laurent 77’). 

Subs not used: Fielding, Flint, Jones, Okagbue. 

Goals: None.

Bookings: None. 

Red cards: None.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account