Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Shrimps 1-2 Wigan Athletic

18 January 2022

Morecambe 1-2 Wigan Athletic
Tuesday 18 January 
Kick-off: 7:45pm
The Mazuma Stadium
Sky Bet League One
Attendance: 5,259 (1,760 away)
Cole Stockton put the Shrimps ahead seven minutes in but the visitors found a leveller moments before the break through Will Keane and it was substitute Stephen Humphrys’ second-half header which meant the visitors took home all three points.
The Shrimps started the game on the front foot and had an early chance to take the lead when Arthur Gnahoua struck from the edge of the box however the Shrimps man couldn’t find the target. 
Morecambe’s pressure paid off in the 7th minute when Stockton put the shrimps ahead with his 19th goal of the season. 
Greg Leigh’s cross from the left caused chaos in the box and a Latics man made a crucial block before the ball fell to Stockton who smashed it into the net.
Wigan came close to finding a leveller in the 15th minute when Max Power’s right-footed corner was punched onto the bar by Shrimps’ stopper Trevor Carson. The Shrimps’ defence managed to steer the ball away from danger to keep their lead in tact.
Leam Richardson’s men came close to finding their equaliser just before the half-hour mark when Callum Lang raced through the Shrimps defence and forced Carson into a diving one-handed save to his left.
The Shrimps nearly doubled their lead when Leigh’s strike from the edge of the area deceived Ben Amos after a deflection and looked like sneaking into the far corner but the Latics’ ‘keeper managed to push the ball out for a corner.
Just before the break James McClean latched onto Lang’s cross but the Irishman sent his header sailing over the crossbar. 
It was in additional time when the visitors found the leveller. Skipper Tendayi Darikwa raced through on the left and found Will Keane in space who only had the ‘keeper to beat. The Latics’ top scorer slotted home to put Wigan back on level terms going into the break.
Half-time: Morecambe 1-1 Wigan Athletic
The Shrimps created an opportunity to regain their lead just after the break when Jonah Ayunga brought down a ball from Stockton at the far post but failed to beat Amos from close-range.
Stockton nearly grabbed his second goal in spectacular fashion 56 minutes in. The striker received the ball on the edge of the box and unleashed a curling effort which the Wigan stopper did well to keep out. 
Stephen Robinson was forced to make his first change just before the hour mark when Liam Gibson came on to replace the injured Leigh.
The ball somehow managed to stay out of the Morecambe net on 64 when Power’s free-kick caused mayhem. The ball was flicked on by Tom Naylor and bobbled around before it was cleared by the Shrimps’ defence.
The Latics took the lead less than ten minutes later when substitute Stephen Humphreys’ header was helped into the Morecambe net by a deflection.
Wigan’s advantage was nearly extended minutes later when Carson kept out Jacob Bedeau’s wayward backpass with his foot.
In the 80th minute referee Samuel Barrott denied calls for a handball inside the Wigan penalty area.
In the final dangers of the game the Shrimps continued to search for an equaliser but their efforts weren’t rewarded.
Morecambe are back on home soil on Saturday when they take on Wycombe Wanderers in Sky Bet League One.
Full-time: Morecambe 1-2 Wigan Athletic 
Morecambe: Carson, R McLaughlin, Leigh (Gibson 57’), O’Connor, Bedeau, Diagouraga, Stockton, Wildig, Ayunga (Cooney 69’), S McLaughlin (Phillips79’), Gnahoua
Subs not used: Letheren, McDonald, McCalmont, Fane 
Goals: Stockton 7’
Bookings: R McLoughlin 90’

Red cards: 

Wigan Athletic: Amos, Watts, Pearce (Edwards 62’), Naylor, Whatmough, Power, Keane, Massey (Humphrys 62’), Lang(Kerr 85’), McClean, Darikwa

Subs not used:
Jones, Shinnie, Bayliss, Aasgaard 

Keane 45+1’, Humphrys 73’

Watts 70’

Red cards:

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account