Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Lincoln City 2 Morecambe 1

19 November 2022

Match Reports

Report | Lincoln City 2 Morecambe 1

19 November 2022

Morecambe fell to a 2-1 defeat to Lincoln City on Saturday afternoon.

Goals from Max Sanders and Ben House were the difference on the afternoon, with Jensen Weir grabbing a late consolation for the Shrimps to give them some hope late on, but it wasn't to be.

Morecambe had the best early chance on nine minutes, as some good counter-attacking play saw Kieran Phillips through on goal, but from a tight angle, his shot went wide of the far post.

At the other end moments later, Jensen Weir lost possession in a dangerous area, allowing Paudie O'Connor the chance to shoot from distance. His strike was deflected on it's way to goal, with Connor Ripley there to tip over the effort with a smart save.

The hosts were having plenty of the ball in the early stages and took the lead on 19 minutes. A free-kick was awarded following a coming together on the edge of the box, with Max Sanders' effort taking a cruel deflection on it's way to goal before nestling into the bottom corner, giving Connor Ripley no chance.

The Shrimps were looking dangerous going forward, with Jake Taylor returning from injury proving a nuisance. The woodwork saved Lincoln on the half hour mark, as an impressive corner routine saw Jensen Weir play the ball short to Caleb Watts. He got past his man and played low ball into the the danger area, with Kieran Phillips hitting it first time, only for it to smack the post and bounce clear.

In a half where Morecambe looked the better of the two sides going forward, they could count themselves unfortunate to go into the half-time break a goal behind.

Half-time: Lincoln City 1 Morecambe 0

Derek Adams made one change at half-time, with Cole Stockton coming on to replace Caleb Watts.

It was Morecambe who had a good opportunity on goal in the opening five minutes of the second half, as Kieran Phillips directed a header towards goal following a cross from Adam Mayor, but the header was well held.

Despite Morecambe looking really threatening in the opening stages of the second half and putting Lincoln under some serious pressure, it was the hosts who doubled their lead. A shot was well-saved and beaten away by Connor Ripley, only for the ball to fall into the path of Ben House, who was able to strike the ball into an empty net.

Cole Stockton thought he'd found that elusive first goal of the season moments later, as he picked up the ball from around 40 yards out following a mix-up by Lincoln. Spotting the goalkeeper off his line, Stockton went for goal, with his effort smacking the post and bouncing clear.

Morecambe halved the defecit with a deserved goal ten minutes from time. A clearance outside of the penalty area fell to Jensen Weir on the edge of the box, who controlled the ball and fired a shot past everyone and into the far corner to give the Shrimps some hope late on.

With the Shrimps pushing for that crucial equalsier, Lincoln had their backs against the wall, but the hosts hung on and took all three points.

Full-time: Lincoln City 2 Morecambe 1

Lincoln City: Rushworth, Poole (c), Sanders, Vernam (Oakley-Boothe 63'), O'Connor, Walsh, Robson (Roughan 86'), House (Hopper 86'), Eyoma, Virtue, Diamond.

Subs not used: Wright, Hopper, Sorensen, Roughan, Davenport, Ahui.

Goals: Sanders (19') House (70')

Bookings: Robson

Red cards:

Morecambe: Ripley, Love (c), Taylor (Gnahoua 65'), Weir, Bedeau, Watts (Stockton 45'), Shaw, Cooney (Melbourne, 81'), O'Connor, Phillips, Mayor.

Subs not used: Smith, Rawson, Delaney, Fane.

Goals: Weir (82')

Bookings: Weir

Red cards:

Attendance: 8,325 (176 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account