Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | MK Dons 2 Morecambe 0

8 November 2022

Match Reports

Report | MK Dons 2 Morecambe 0

8 November 2022

Morecambe were knocked out of the Carabao Cup on Tuesday, in a 2-0 defeat MK Dons.

Goals from Warren O'Hora and Matthew Dennis proved the difference for Morecambe, who lost out at the third round stage.

The hosts had the best early chance on goal, as Tennai Watson found his way from full-back into the box and shot at goal, but Connor Ripley made a top quality save to his right to tip it behind.

From the eventual corner, MK Dons thought they'd scored the opener, as the ball was cleared away and fed back into the box. A goal mouth scramble followed, with the ball coming off the post and eventually cleared from danger from a Morecambe body.

Morecambe were struggling to break MK Dons down in the early stages, though Liam Gibson did find himself in a good position for a cross on ten minutes, but the supply was not met by a Morecambe body and was cleared away.

MK Dons had a lot of the ball in the opening stages, and took the lead with just under 20 minutes gone. A corner was cleared away to the edge of the area, with Warren O'Hora hitting it on the volley and firing it past Connor Ripley into the far corner.

With the Shrimps a goal down on half an hour, Derek Adams decided to make two changes, with Dylan Connolly and Adam Mayor brought on in place of Ryan Delaney and Anthony O'Connor.

Mayor almost made an instant impact, making a driving run into the box, but his strike was held.

In what was a quiet opening 45 minutes, the Shrimps went into the break a goal down.

Half-time: MK Dons 1 Morecambe 0

The Shrimps made a third change at half-time, with Cole Stockton brought on in place of Caleb Watts.

With two up top now for Morecambe in the shape of Stockton and Kieran Phillips, it was clear to see the Shrimps were looking to force a way back into the game, but the hosts made it 2-0 five minutes after the break.

A ball forward found Matthew Dennis, who rounded Farrend Rawson and managed to squeeze a shot under Connor Ripley and into the net to double the hosts' lead.

Morecambe were huffing and puffing, but they just couldn't break MK Dons down. They did get in on goal with ten minutes of the second half remaining, as Dylan Connolly was through, but he was flagged for offside.

In truth, it was an evening to forget for the Shrimps who bowed out of the Carabao Cup at the third round stage.

Full-time: MK Dons 2 Morecambe 0

MK Dons: Cumming, Watson (Oyegoke, 45'), Tucker, O'Hora, Robson, Eisa (Dennis, 45'), Johnson (Devoy, 67'), Grant (Smith, 67'), Burns, Lawrence, Jules.

Subs not used: Ravizzoli, Holland, Kemp, Barry, Harvie.

Goals: O'Hora (18') Dennis (51')


Red cards:

Morecambe: Ripley, Gibson, Rawson, Delaney (Connolly 31'), Weir, Bedeau, Watts (Stockton, 45'), Shaw, Cooney, O'Connor (Mayor 31'), Phillips (Fane, 61').

Subs not used: Smith, Gnahoua, Obika.


Bookings: Watts

Red cards:

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account