Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Morecambe 1 Portsmouth 1

12 November 2022

The Shrimps made it three unbeaten at the Mazuma Stadium after a 1-1 draw with Portsmouth on Saturday afternoon.

Liam Shaw’s first goal of the season put Morecambe ahead in the first half before Colby Bishop equalised for the visitors with the Shrimps unable to find a winner.

Morecambe started the game brightly and had a good chance when Ryan Cooney’s floated cross to the back post found Donald Love unmarked who saw his shot blocked at close range.

Shrimps goalkeeper Connor Ripley was called into action for the first time midway through the first half when he tipped over Owen Dale’s shot from the edge of the box.

Morecambe deservingly took the lead ten minutes before the break when Adam Mayor pulled it back across the box from the right, Liam Shaw's calm first time shot found the bottom left corner 

The home side continued to impress and almost made it two in first half stoppage time when Ryan Cooney found Kieran Phillips in the box, but the Morecambe man couldn’t make a clean enough connection to threaten the visitor's goal.

Pompey goalkeeper Josh Griffiths denied the Shrimps a second right at the end of the first half when he saved from Jensen Weir who was one-on-one with Pompey man.

Half-time: Morecambe 1 Portsmouth 0

Morecambe started the second half as they ended the first when Watts fired a shot just wide from distance.

Derek Adams' men continued to create chances and came agonisingly close to a second when Cooney’s pinpoint cross from the right found Watts unmarked in the box, the Southampton loanee headed just wide.

Pompey continued to look for a leveller when Dan Scarlett pulled the ball back across the box from the right to find Zak Swanson, who put his effort wide.

The Shrimps had another good chance 25 minutes from time when a free kick from the right found Ryan Delaney who flicked the ball wide with his head.

Portsmouth equalised moments later when Anthony O’Connor cleared the ball off the line before Colby Bishop tapped home from close range following a goalmouth scramble.

The Shrimps came close to retaking the lead when second half substitutes Dylan Connolly and Cole Stockton linked up, the former found the latter in the box, but his side footed effort sailed narrowly wide. 

Connolly forced Griffiths into a good save ten minutes from time as the keeper came rushing off his line to deny the Morecambe winger.

Morecambe came close once more when substitute Arthur Gnahoua fired his shot across goal and just wide of the right-hand post with eight minutes left on the clock.

Moments later, Marlon Pack tried his luck from distance for the visitors and forced Shrimps goalkeeper Connor Ripley into a good save to his left.

With only a minute to go, Stockton raced away from the Portsmouth back line and squared the ball to Weir, who was denied by Griffiths.

Full-time: Morecambe 1 Portsmouth 1

Morecambe: Ripley, Love © (Melbourne), Delaney, Weir, Bedeau, Watts (Connolly), Shaw, Cooney, O’Connor, Phillips (Stockton), Mayor (Gnahoua).

Subs not used: Smith, Rawson, Fane.

Goals: Shaw (36’).

Bookings: Love, Connolly, Shaw.

Red cards: None.

Portsmouth: Griffiths, Swanson (Mingi), Robertson © (Hume, 46’), Ogilvie, Pack (Morrison), Tunnicliffe, Bishop (Pigott), Dale (Hackett-Fairchild), Scarlett, Raggett, Koroma.

Subs not used: Oluwayemi, Morrell.

Goals: Bishop (67’).

Bookings: Pack, Mingi.

Red cards: None.

Attendance: 4,726 (1,057 away).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account