Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bristol Rovers 2-2 Shrimps

3 September 2022

Match Reports

Report: Bristol Rovers 2-2 Shrimps

3 September 2022

Bristol Rovers 2-2 Morecambe
Sky Bet League One
The Memorial Stadium
Saturday 3 September 2022
Kick-Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 8,821 (200 Shrimps)

Four goals split between both sides saw the Shrimps and Bristol Rovers share the points at the Memorial Stadium. 

Jensen Weir netted for the away side as well as Kieran Phillips netting his first goal in a Morecambe shirt, but strikes either side by Ryan Loft and Bobby Thomas made sure the game ended level.

It was Bristol Rovers who had the first opening of the game, within 30 seconds of the first whistle, the ball landed at the feet of Aaron Collins whose effort found the bottom of a post before bouncing clear of danger. 

The Shrimps burst into action after that, with Phillips seeing off his man before firing an effort off Alfie Kilgour which sent it behind for a Morecambe corner. 

Jake Taylor’s short set-piece found Donald Love, he laid off Weir up who took on touch set himself up before unleashing a stunning curled effort which left ‘keeper James Belshaw with absolutely no chance in the home side goal. 

Joey Barton’s men started to assert dominance from there, with striker John Marquis having an overhead-kick cleared off the line by Farrend Rawson moments after Morecambe found the opener. 

Former Shrimps man Collins was a threat throughout and almost found the back of the net himself on the 20th minute mark, his touch saw him set himself up before letting fly with his left foot, thankfully Connor Ripley the effort was wide of the mark.

A minute before the half-an-hour mark the home side struck, Collins again with some tidy footwork saw him lose Liam Gibson before getting a cross into the area, there was Loft to touch the ball from just inside the six-yard box. 

Just before the half-time whistle the Gas had a great chance to take the lead, the ball was slipped through to Collins who had beaten his defender but his shot hit the foot of a post and trickled wide, thankfully for the Shrimps. 

Half-time: Bristol Rovers 1-1 Morecambe

Eight minutes after the restart Derek Adams’ side regained the lead, some fantastic work by Caleb Watts saw him play a sensational defence-splitting through ball in Phillips’ direction, he picked it up just outside the box and slotted a right-footed effort into the bottom-right of Belshaw’s goal. 

Three minutes later it was close to seeing the scores levelled once again, a cross from the right was nearly headed into his own goal by Jacob Bedeau, but Ripley was alert to make a smart save down to his left to spare the defenders blushes. 

On the 74th minute the home side came close again, a cross into the area by substitute Luke McCormick found fellow substitute Trevor Clarke, his volleyed effort was well-saved by Ripley. 

Six minutes later the Gas had their leveller. A soft free-kick on the edge of the box was given which Anthony Evans hit off the wall earning Bristol Rovers a corner, the resulting corner by Evans dropped at the feet of Thomas who was there to apply the finish. 

It was Bristol Rovers who came close to a winner moments later, a through ball somehow made its way through to Harvey Saunders but Ripley was there to make a stunning point blank one-on-one save to deny him. 

Full-time: Bristol Rovers 2-2 Morecambe

Bristol Rovers: Belshaw, Gordon (Anderson 71’), Kilgour (Jasper 71’), Finley (Saunders 62’), Marquis (McCormick 62’), Collins, Coutts (C) (Clarke 71’), Loft, Evans, Hoole, Thomas. 

Subs not used: Jaakkola, Whelan.

Goals: Loft 29’, Thomas 80’.

Bookings: Thomas 90+1’, McCormick 90+5’

Red cards: None.


Morecambe: Ripley (Smith 86’), Love (C), Gibson (Cooney 81’), Rawson, Taylor (Connolly 75’), Fane, Weir, Bedeau, Watts (Mayor 81’), Shaw, Phillips. 

Subs not used: McLoughlin, O’Connor, Rooney. 

Goals: Weir 12’, Phillips 53’.

Bookings: Gibson 16’.

Red cards: None.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account