Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Charlton Athletic 2 Morecambe 3

22 April 2023

The Shrimps claim all three points from a five-goal thriller against Charlton Athletic on Saturday afternoon.

The sides couldn't be separated at the break with a Cole Stockton stunner ultimately cancelled out by Jes Rek-Sakyi's strike in the first of three minutes added on at the end of the first half.

Stockton's second followed by a Jensen Weir tap in provided daylight for Derek Adams' men, with Scott Fraser's late goal proving nothing more than a consolation.

The Shrimps found themselves ahead in spectacular fashion on eight minutes when Cole Stockton took aim from distance and found the back of the net, an excellent start for the visitors.

Charlton carved out their first chance of proceedings 11 minutes later when a corner kick was sent deep toward Miles Leaburn at the back post, but his side-footed volley back across goal rolled out of play.

Jes Rek-Sakyi then took aim from well out, his effort failing to test Connor Ripley who was able to comfortably collect in the Shrimps’ goal. 

The Addicks did find the back of the net on the half-hour mark through Jack Payne, though play was brought back after the referee spotted and whistled for a foul in the build-up. 

It was nearly a second for Derek Adams’ men seven minutes later as Josh Austerfield sent a delivery to the back post, there was Stockton again but the resulting header sailed wide.

Stockton came inches away from doubling his side’s advantage on 43 minutes; a cross into the mix was deflected into his path, but he could only fire over from close range.

With two minutes of added-time to play, the hosts found an equaliser through Rek-Sakyi who met the cross inside the Shrimps’ box and converted.

Half-time: Charlton Athletic 1 Morecambe 1

An early second-half chance for Charlton fell to Leaburn, but he was unable to keep header down from six yards out. 

Minutes before the hour mark and the Shrimps were ahead through Stockton once more. Jensen Weir’s pin-point pass into the box was pounced upon by our number nine who managed to prod home beyond Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Things went from good to better for Morecambe on 64 minutes when Stockton’s shot from distance was too hot to handle, but there was Weir at the back post who made no mistake with the rebound. 

With just over 10 to play, The Addicks pulled one back through Scott Fraser who controlled Sean Clare’s cross and struck on the turn, finding the target. 

The home side continued to pile on the pressure, with Morecambe forced to clear a chance off the line, but the Shrimps’ defence stood firm to hold on to a valuable three points on the road.

Full-time: Charlton Athletic 2 Morecambe 3 

Charlton Athletic: Maynard-Brewer, Sessegnon (Kane 69’), Thomas, Dobson, Hector, Morgan, Rak-Sakyi, Payne (Campbell 61’), Clare, Henry (Fraser 61’), Leaburn.

Subs not used: Wollacott, Egbo, Kanu, Mitchell.

Goals: Rak-Sakyi (45+1’), Fraser (79’).

Bookings: Leaburn.

Red cards: None.

Morecambe: Ripley, Gibson, Rawson, Crowley (Taylor 72’), Stockton, Gnahoua (Delaney 86’), Weir (Niasse 86’), Bedeau, Cooney, Austerfield, Souaré (Melbourne 52’).

Subs not used: Smith, Hunter, Simeu.

Goals: Stockton (08’, 57’), Weir (64’).

Bookings: None.

Red cards: None.

Attendance: 13,347 (220).

Advertisement block