Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Youth Report | Morecambe U18 4-1 Port Vale U18

2 December 2023

Match Reports

Youth Report | Morecambe U18 4-1 Port Vale U18

2 December 2023

The young Shrimps returned to winning ways as they defeated Port Vale 4-1 at Lancaster and Morecambe College earlier today.

The visitors broke the deadlock inside three minutes but two goals in as many minutes in first-half stoppage time secured Shrimps’ advantage at the interval.

Midfielder Nathan Mercer and forward Matthew Williams struck in the second-half to further extend our lead and pick up all three points.

Morecambe were punished early on as visiting winger Ben Lomax hammered a low cross into the area and following a touch from another teammate, attacker Andrew Buah tapped in to put his side ahead.

Shrimps’ right-back Joe Lynchey delivered a superb ball from a deep free-kick on 20 minutes but centre-back Leyton Holden was unable to connect to provide the leveller.

Ollie Ras’ team were starting to apply a lot of pressure as they went in search of the equaliser with midfielder Lennon Dobson and winger Callum Cooney coming close with two separate efforts within five minutes.

Morecambe skipper Andy Evans was the first player to find his way into the referee’s book as he was shown a yellow card on 36 minutes.

As the game went into stoppage time at the end of the first-half, the Valiants looked to be going in with the lead.

Then up stepped Lennon Dobson on 46 minutes.

The midfielder kept a keen eye on the ball as it fell towards him in the middle of the Port Vale half, and after catching it first time it flew into the top corner.

An outrageous finish, which is certainly going to be a Goal of the Season contender.

The action didn't stop there as Morecambe hunted for another as stoppage time continued.

And their hard work was rewarded as striker Saul Fox-Akande turned home Lynchey’s brilliant cross at the back post to give us the lead going into half-time.

Half-time: Morecambe 2-1 Port Vale

The two late first-half strikes provided a massive boost of confidence as Shrimps started the strongest in the second-half.

Cooney showed exceptional speed and power to beat his man out wide once again on 54 minutes, but his cross which was destined for an arriving teammate, was turned behind for a corner.

Shortly after the hour mark, Morecambe had their third goal of the day.

After Holden received a knock which required treatment and a stoppage in play, the game resumed via a drop ball which was pumped forward. Mercer was alive to the action, latching onto the end of it before lobbing Port Vale's 'keeper.

Ollie Ras made his first alterations on 65 minutes as Holden and Cooney were replaced by attackers Billy Whaite and Matthew Williams.

The game entered a lull midway through the second-half as both teams played with caution knowing the next goal was vital.

Inside the last 15 minutes of the encounter Shrimps made three further changes. Left-back Vinny Wright, Fox-Akande and Dobson were replaced by midfielders Corey Goodyear, Jack McKean and Lewis Ballantyne - with the latter coming on at centre-back.

Valiants’ winger Lomax was booked on 83 minutes following a late challenge on Morecambe’s trialist.

The Shrimps added their fourth goal on 89 minutes and it was the returning Matthew Williams who got it, following one month on the sidelines. The forward showed brilliant composure to fire into the bottom corner from inside the box, after finding himself on the end of a perfectly weighted through ball.

Full-time: Morecambe 4-1 Port Vale


Morecambe: Scales, Lynchey, Holden (65’ Whaite), Evans (C), V. Wright (75’ Ballantyne), Dobson (81’ Goodyear), Mercer, Rooney, Trialist, Cooney (65’ Williams), Fox-Akande (75’ McKean)

Subs not used: N/A

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account