Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Late victory for Shrimps at Prenton Park

13 February 2024

Match Reports

Late victory for Shrimps at Prenton Park

13 February 2024

The Shrimps left it late to claim all three points against Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park.

The hosts found themselves two goals up inside ten minutes before Charlie Brown pulled one back.

Jordan Slew equalised with eight minutes of normal time to play before Jacob Davenport netted in emphatic fashion to win the game.

The hosts struck quick and managed to break the deadlock with just four minutes on the clock. After capitalising on a defensive mistake, Harvey Saunders broke down the right and squared the ball to Apter who couldn’t miss. 

Rovers were awarded a penalty on 10 minutes after Chris Stokes allegedly brought down Saunders in the box. Up stepped Jennings who sent Archie Mair the wrong way to double the advantage.

Four minutes later, the Shrimps halved the deficit. Julian Larsson initially pulled the trigger from the edge of the box, his strike landed at the feet of Brown who turned and rocketed the ball into the back of the net.

Ged Garner came close to levelling proceedings midway through the first half after latching onto Stokes’ ball over the top and firing a first-time volley straight at Luke McGee. 

Ged Brannan’s men looked to finish the half strongly as Joe Adams managed to evade defensive pressure and release the shot only for it to be blocked at the last second.

Both defences ended the half strongly with vital blocks being made for either side, denying any more goals in the first 45.

Half-time: Tranmere Rovers 2 Morecambe 1

The Shrimps started the second half in the ascendency and managed to win three corners in six minutes, none of which carved out any clear-cut chances.

A half chance fell to Saunders on 55 minutes after the ball bounced kindly into his path in the Morecambe box, but he failed to keep the ball down and fired high into the stand behind the goal.

With 67 minutes on the clock, Rovers came close to extending their lead after catching the Shrimps on the counter. Apter broke away down the right before looking to bend one into the far corner, though the save proved comfortable for Mair.

Just before the clock ticked over the 80-minute mark, McGee was called into action after Jordan Slew struck a venomous shot toward the near post with the Tranmere number one palming away the effort.

It didn’t take long for Slew to find the back of the net. Three minutes later, Senior received the pass from Adams down the right and delivered a cross which put the ball on a plate for Slew who made no mistake from close range.

Both sides had chances to win it in the space of one minute. First, Jennings struck from distance which sailed narrowly wide before Senior’s shot from the edge of the box was saved comfortably by McGee.

With the last kick of the game, the Shrimps did win it. Substitute Davenport stepped up and struck a free kick from distance which nestled in the top corner – an incredible way to complete a comeback.

Full-time: Tranmere Rovers 2 Morecambe 3

Tranmere Rovers: McGee, O’Connor (Yarner, 82’), Davies ©, Turnbull, Morris (Hawkes, 68’), Hendry, Jennings, Saunders (Dennis, 86’), McAlear (Lewis, 68’), Apter, Wood.

Subs not used: Murphy, Jolley, Norris.

Goals: Apter (04’), Jennings (10’).

Bookings: Hendry, Morris, Saunders, Hawkes.

Red cards: None.

Morecambe: Mair, Tutonda, Bedeau ©, Adams, Garner, Larsson (Slew, 62’), Senior, Stokes, Taylor (Davenport, 76’), Brown (Edwards, 63’), Khumbeni (Songo’o, 75’).

Subs not used: A Smith, Harrack, Melbourne.

Goals: Brown (14’), Slew (82’), Davenport (90+4’).

Bookings: Adams, Khumbeni.

Red cards: None.

Attendance: TBC

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account