Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Morecambe 2 - 1 Plymouth Argyle

31 August 2013

Match Reports

Morecambe 2 - 1 Plymouth Argyle

31 August 2013

Morecambe 2 - 1 Plymouth Argyle

MORECAMBE moved up to second in the League 2 table after Jamie Devitt’s late goal handed the Shrimps victory against in-form Plymouth Argyle.

Midfielder Devitt popped up at the far post eight minutes from time to turn home a Kevin Ellison shot that had flashed across the Argyle six yard box.

Kevin Ellison had given the Shrimps the lead on 19 minutes with his fifth goal of the season before Peter Hartley’s header levelled things up six minutes later.

It was an open and end-to-end contest between two good footballing sides that looked like it would end with honours even until Devitt’s intervention.

In an even opening, Ellison had the first two real sights of goal in the game, bending over a 25-yard free-kick inside the first minute before rising highest only to head over Andy Wright’s cross nine minutes in.

At the other end, Barry Roche got down low to his left to make a comfortable save from Reuben Reid’s free-kick from 30 yards less than a minute later.

It was the visitors who were controlling possession but the Shrimps got their noses in front on 19 minutes.

Devitt’s deep free-kick was headed down by Ryan Edwards with Ellison hooking the ball home from eight yards. The ball was hacked away but was adjudged to have crossed the line.

The visitors were level on 25 minutes as an entertaining game went end-to-end.

The delivery from former Shrimp Lewis Alessandra had been excellent in the early stages and it was his right-wing free-kick that was powered home by Hartley’s bullet header from 10 yards.

It was a frantic contest with both sides picking up a yellow card as the game went into the break level.

The breathtaking pace carried on into the second period, the first chance falling to Edwards who could only head wide from a Devitt corner after rising above the Pilgrims defence.

Chances were at more of a premium after the interval however, Hartley coming close to a second on 68 minutes but Roche turned another free header from an Alessandra corner round the post.

For the Shrimps, Padraig Amond nearly capped his return to the starting line up in fine style but saw an overhead kick 20 minutes from time well saved low to his left by Luke McCormick.

Perhaps Morecambe’s best chance however came shortly after but the hosts couldn’t take advantage of a two-on-one situation with Devitt unable to find Amond when the striker would have had the goal at his mercy.

Devitt was to get a chance to make amends however and did eight minutes from time with his first goal of the season.

Ellison’s shot from 20 yards was heading wide but the Irishman was on hand to convert from close range at the back post.

Argyle, who had won their last two, went in search of an equaliser, but couldn’t find a way through, Roche saving well from Reuben Reid in stoppage time.

Morecambe: Roche, Wright (capt), Parrish, Edwards, Widdowson, Goodall (Kenyon 76), Fleming, Devitt (Williams 90), Mullin (Sampson 69), Ellison, Amond. Subs not used: Arestidou, McGowan, Doyle, McCready.

Booked: Goodall

Plymouth Argyle: McCormick, Mellor, Nelson, Hartley, McHugh, Cox (Thomas 86), O’Connor, Blizzard, Alessandra, Reid, Morgan (Smalley 64). Subs not used: Bittner, Purrington, Norburn, Banton, Harvey.

Booked: McHugh

Attendance: 1,865

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account